Routing issue

Hello

I have this in my route.rb

namespace :admin do     resources :accounts do       resources :portals do         post 'create'         post 'edit'         post 'show'       end     end   end

Actually, from the beginning it looked like this:

namespace :admin do     resources :accounts do       resources :portals     end   end

Before, but even now, when I go to /admin/accounts/1/portals

Then the method named create was executed. Even when I go to /admin/accounts/1/portals/create the same method is executed

I need now to execute the method edit

If I try to call it with GET, then it works. So pasting in the browser /admin/accounts/1/portals/edit

works.

But the thing is that this should be a POST. So when I try to access this page, with curl, specifying it is a POST, then I get a

Routing Error

No route matches "/admin/accounts/1/portals/edit"

So it didnt help putting the specific route with post and get into the admin-portals-resource.

What is wrong? Maybe a simple thing, but Im very unexperienced in ROR. Thanks.

Hello

I have this in my route.rb

namespace :admin do    resources :accounts do      resources :portals do        post 'create'        post 'edit'        post 'show'      end    end end

Actually, from the beginning it looked like this:

namespace :admin do    resources :accounts do      resources :portals    end end

Before, but even now, when I go to /admin/accounts/1/portals

Then the method named create was executed. Even when I go to /admin/accounts/1/portals/create the same method is executed

I need now to execute the method edit

If I try to call it with GET, then it works. So pasting in the browser /admin/accounts/1/portals/edit

works.

But the thing is that this should be a POST. So when I try to access this page, with curl, specifying it is a POST, then I get a

Routing Error

No route matches "/admin/accounts/1/portals/edit"

So it didnt help putting the specific route with post and get into the admin-portals-resource.

What is wrong? Maybe a simple thing, but Im very unexperienced in ROR. Thanks.

What do you see when you type rake routes (from inside your project root) in your terminal?

Walter

Well, I get an error sigh:

rake aborted!

You have already activated rake 0.9.1, but your Gemfile requires rake 0.8.7. Consider using bundle exec.

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bundler-1.0.14/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:31:in `setup’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bundler-1.0.14/lib/bundler/spec_set.rb:12:in `each’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bundler-1.0.14/lib/bundler/spec_set.rb:12:in `each’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bundler-1.0.14/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:17:in `setup’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bundler-1.0.14/lib/bundler.rb:107:in `setup’

/Users/alfredocapasso/Sites/git/zoomvision/flash-wip/config/boot.rb:8

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `gem_original_require’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require’

/Users/alfredocapasso/Sites/git/zoomvision/flash-wip/config/application.rb:1

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `gem_original_require’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require’

/Users/alfredocapasso/Sites/git/zoomvision/flash-wip/Rakefile:4

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.9.1/lib/rake/rake_module.rb:25:in `load’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.9.1/lib/rake/rake_module.rb:25:in `load_rakefile’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.9.1/lib/rake/application.rb:495:in `raw_load_rakefile’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.9.1/lib/rake/application.rb:78:in `load_rakefile’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.9.1/lib/rake/application.rb:129:in `standard_exception_handling’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.9.1/lib/rake/application.rb:77:in `load_rakefile’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.9.1/lib/rake/application.rb:61:in `run’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.9.1/lib/rake/application.rb:129:in `standard_exception_handling’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.9.1/lib/rake/application.rb:59:in `run’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.9.1/bin/rake:32

/usr/local/bin/rake:19:in `load’

/usr/local/bin/rake:19

What do you see when you type rake routes (from inside your project root) in your terminal?

Well, I get an error sigh:

rake aborted!

Cue Mythbusters theme music: "Well, there's your problem right there..."

Walter

Ok, running bundle exec rake routes solves the problem.

Now I can see all the routes. There are a lot.

Those related to my problem are:

portal_edit

/admin/accounts/:account_id/portals/:portal_id/edit(.:format)

{:action=>“edit”, :controller=>“admin/portals”}

edit_portal

GET

/portals/:id/edit(.:format)

{:action=>“edit”, :controller=>“portals”}

edit_admin_account_portal

GET

/admin/accounts/:account_id/portals/:id/edit(.:format)

{:action=>“edit”, :controller=>“admin/portals”}

edit_admin_account

GET

/admin/accounts/:id/edit(.:format)

{:action=>“edit”, :controller=>“admin/accounts”}

Does this tell you somthing?

Cue Mythbusters theme music: "Well, there's your problem right there..."

Ok, running bundle exec rake routes solves the problem. Now I can see all the routes. There are a lot. Those related to my problem are:

portal_edit POST /admin/accounts/:account_id/portals/:portal_id/edit(.:format) {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"admin/portals"}

This looks like the path you want to post your form results to, but if this is a POST, you should be hitting :action => 'update' rather than 'edit'.

To load the form that you will fill with new data for your update, you would have a matching route that used GET, and hit :action => 'edit'.

If you don't want to use REST conventions (GET to load the edit, form POST to accept the update) then you need to get out of that end of the pool and use older-style non-RESTful routes, which you can spot by their dangling ids:

/admin/accounts/2/portals/edit/4

Have a look at the very bottom of your routes file for comments about configuring those, I'm not sure what the syntax would be in Rails 3, haven't done those since Rails 2.

Walter

Well, I dont care very much how. The thing is that create and edit will be called from another application through curl. So I will never need to go to the presentation page for edit and create. It is just enough that there will be route for when the form is posted.

As I said, it works for create. But not for edit. I wonder why it works for create but not edit.

So you say the only solution is to add a custom route? Do you mean that kind of routes like:

This is a legacy wild controller route that’s not recommended for RESTful applications.

Note: This route will make all actions in every controller accessible via GET requests.

match ‘:controller(/:action(/:id(.:format)))’

If yes: But this talks about GET, hoe can I make t work for POST?

This looks like the path you want to post your form results to, but if this is a POST, you should be hitting :action => 'update' rather than 'edit'.

To load the form that you will fill with new data for your update, you would have a matching route that used GET, and hit :action => 'edit'.

If you don't want to use REST conventions (GET to load the edit, form POST to accept the update) then you need to get out of that end of the pool and use older-style non-RESTful routes, which you can spot by their dangling ids:

Have a look at the very bottom of your routes file for comments about configuring those, I'm not sure what the syntax would be in Rails 3, haven't done those since Rails 2.

Walter

Well, I dont care very much how. The thing is that create and edit will be called from another application through curl. So I will never need to go to the presentation page for edit and create. It is just enough that there will be route for when the form is posted.

As I said, it works for create. But not for edit. I wonder why it works for create but not edit.

So you say the only solution is to add a custom route? Do you mean that kind of routes like:

# This is a legacy wild controller route that's not recommended for RESTful applications.   # Note: This route will make all actions in every controller accessible via GET requests.   # match ':controller(/:action(/:id(.:format)))'

If yes: But this talks about GET, hoe can I make t work for POST?

There's the nut of the problem right there. You don't ever want to POST to the 'edit' route. You want to POST to the 'update' route. So if your curl application is already aware of the format of the element you're updating, all you need to do is POST to 'update' and everything will Just Work™. You only ever hit the (GET) 'edit' route when you want to receive back a populated form, ready for editing. That form is set to POST to the 'update' route.

The reason why 'create' works for you now is because when you want to create a new widget in Rails, you GET the 'new' route, which returns an empty form ready for completion, and that form POSTs to the 'create' route.

Walter

Walter

As Walter said it is because you should be using update not edit. In normal use with a browser new is used to get a form to fill in then create is used to create the record, edit is used to get the form for editing a record then update is used to do the update. So the form should be posted to update not edit and that is what the standard routes are set up for.

No, just use the standard *update* route

Colin

Ok, but if I now have the route that looks like this:

namespace :admin do resources :accounts do resources :portals do post ‘create’

post 'update'
    post 'show'
  end  
end

end

And then in the controller I have both (to be sure, I dont know which one of edit and update I should define) I have:

def update

render :text => "update"
return

end

def edit

render :text => "edit"

return

end

Then going with curl to the url http://localhost:3000/admin/accounts/1/portals/edit or even http://localhost:3000/admin/accounts/1/portals/update

still shows the error NO ROUTE MATCHES

What am I doing wrong?

What does rake routes show? Is the url you are using above contained there?

Colin

Well, among those that I think are relevent I can only see:

portal_update POST /admin/accounts/:account_id/portals/:portal_id/update(.:format) {:action=>“update”, :controller=>“admin/portals”}

PUT /admin/accounts/:account_id/portals/:id(.:format) {:action=>“update”, :controller=>“admin/portals”}

PUT /admin/accounts/:id(.:format) {:action=>“update”, :controller=>“admin/accounts”}

And I see that accessing them as GET works. So typing the address in the browser shows in the logs that the page was accessed as GET, and I dont get any route error.

Right, so you can see that the routes you want are not there. As you can see, the update route requires an id for the portal, so it knows which portal to update, and you have not provided that in your url.

Colin

Are you sure? I see that I send the ID both for get and post. With GET i put this in the browser: http://localhost:3000/admin/accounts/133/portals/update

And the log shows that I requested a GET, and there are no routes error.

But from CURL I get route error:

Started POST “/admin/accounts/133/portals/update” for 127.0.0.1 at Wed Jun 15 11:06:50 +0200 2011

ActionController::RoutingError (No route matches “/admin/accounts/133/portals/update”):

But you can see that the ID was there: /admin/accounts/133/portals/update

Oh I am sorry. I missunderstood. Yes, the problem was the portl_id that was not attached. I mixed up account_id and portal_id. Thank you, it works now.