RoR broken on my Mac; please help

Hi,

I'm new to the RoR language, and I'm being set back by an uncooperative installation of Ruby (and Rails).

I followed the instructions at Dan Benjamin but my problem still persists.

Whenever I try to do a gem command, I get:

/usr/local/bin/gem:8:in `require': no such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)   from /usr/local/bin/gem:8

I went around deleting thins hoping to do a fresh install. But I think I deleted too much. How can I delete everything and start all over? Or, how can I fix my problem.

Thanks very much.

you don't need to delete anything, just do it all from scratch over again. I'm not sure what went wrong the first time, but I followed the same instructions last week and it worked fine for me.

jdonnell wrote:

you don't need to delete anything, just do it all from scratch over again. I'm not sure what went wrong the first time, but I followed the same instructions last week and it worked fine for me.

I did it all over again and it still doesn't work.

Report your versions (ruby -v, gem -v, rails -v), and the relevant lines of your error messages!

Phlip wrote:

Report your versions (ruby -v, gem -v, rails -v), and the relevant lines of your error messages!

ruby -v: ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i686-darwin9.4.0]

gem -v: /usr/local/bin/gem:8:in `require': no such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)   from /usr/local/bin/gem:8

rails -v: -bash: /usr/bin/rails: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

I would suggest following the this torturial: http://howtoforge.net/getting-started-with-ruby-on-rails

I wrote it, and it bypasses OSX rails installation, and uses macport.

regards svend

What's in your .bash_profile, .profile. and .bashrc ?

you may not have all of these files.