RMagick, ImageMagick, Passenger and Dreamhost

I need to use the newest version of RMagick, so i did everything as they say on this wiki: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/RMagick

But, my Rails app isn't working, here is the error:

This installation of RMagick was configured with ImageMagick 6.5.1 but ImageMagick 6.0.6 is in use.

I tried to set the environment variable: LD_LIBRARY_PATH... but no success... I've read a lot of people with the same problem, but i couldn't find the solution. I guess the problem is to set a environment variable in passenger. Does anybody can help me?

Thanks a lot.

It looks like you need to check the following:

1) Did you install your own version of ImageMagick in your local directory? Both of the following two Unix commands should give the same response. NOTE: YOUR_HOME should be the path to your home directory. i.e.: I see /Users/rick/local/bin/Magick-config on my system.

$ ls ~/local/bin/Magick-config YOUR_HOME/local/bin/Magick-config $ which Magick-config YOUR_HOME/local/bin/Magick-config $

If the first command fails, you need to re-install ImageMagick paying attention to the instructions for setting "--prefix=" in the configuration step. After the re-install of ImageMagick you'll need to reinstall RMagick.

If the first command succeeds but the second fails, you need to add the RMagick export settings to your shell's runtime command file.

Shell RC File bash ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc csh ~/.login or ~/.cshrc tcsh ~/.login or ~/.tcshrc ksh ~/.profile or ~/.kshrc sh ~/.profile

Edit your RC file and add the following lines:

$ export PATH=$HOME/local/bin:$PATH $ export LDFLAGS=-L/$HOME/local/lib $ export CPPFLAGS=-I/$HOME/local/include $ export LD_RUN_PATH=$HOME/local/lib

Log out and back in and retry the "ls ~/local/bin/Magick-config" and "which Magick-config". The results of both commands should now be identical. If you check the file (more ~/local/bin/Magick-config) you should see the prefix, exec_prefix, libdir, and included_dir as pointing at your home directory. RMagick should work now.

Hey Rick, Thanks for answer.. Yes i did compile my own ImageMagick and installed RMagick. Everything is like you said. But still no success...

Same error message: This installation of RMagick was configured with ImageMagick 6.5.1 but ImageMagick 6.0.6 is in use.

I think it's not possible to set or pass environment variables to passenger, apache...

I'm trying this for almost a week... Please help me... if somebody uses Dreamhost or any similar shared hosting and did this please tell me how...

So far... thanks for the help. Daniel

And also, If i do this:

ruby -r RMagick -e"puts Magick::Long_version"

It shows the old version of ImageMagick

And if i set config.cache_classes to false on my environments/ production.rb everithing works fine... but slowly...

May be the solution is to reset this cache_classes?

Thanks everybody. Daniel

Nobody??? Please...

did you perform ldconfig?

did you try to find out where rmagick libs are?

you can try to remove /usr/local/ruby/gem/1.8/cache/rmagick-*.gem

(u have to correct the path)

tom

Daniel2Surf wrote:

I don't have root access. It's a shared host. that's the main problem...

I had the same problem on Ubuntu, and

$sudo apt-get install librmagick-ruby1.8

did the trick for me. Hope this helps anybody.