RESTful Routing - Difference between new, collection, member

I'm re-working an application from scratch to make use of REST-based resource routing for the first time. In doing some reading, I found the Rails guide (Rails Routing from the Outside In — Ruby on Rails Guides) to be really helpful, but I don't quite understand the difference between "new", "collection" and "member" when defining additional routes on a resource. Could somebody clear that up a little - preferably with some "real world" examples? The examples in the rails guide seemed pretty ambiguous.

Phoenix Rising wrote:

I'm re-working an application from scratch to make use of REST-based resource routing for the first time. In doing some reading, I found the Rails guide (Rails Routing from the Outside In — Ruby on Rails Guides) to be really helpful, but I don't quite understand the difference between "new", "collection" and "member" when defining additional routes on a resource. Could somebody clear that up a little - preferably with some "real world" examples? The examples in the rails guide seemed pretty ambiguous.

An action that acts upon a collection of the resource is defined with collection and has a route that reflects that:

For example the index action acts upon a collection of the resource: GET: /posts

An action that acts upon a single instance of a resource is defined with member and has a route that reflects that:

The show, create, update and delete actions are examples: GET: /posts/1 POST: /posts/1 PUT: /posts/1 DELETE: /posts/1

An action using 'new' also acts upon the collection but allows for additional actions that create new instances.

Example: map.resources :photos, :new => { :upload => :post }

Allows Rails to recognize the following request: POST: /photos/upload

and route the request to the upload action of the resource's controller. This would be in addition to the 'normal' CRUD request: POST: /photos

This request could also be used to create new instances of the photos resource by routing to the create action.