require gems messing up rails install?

I have a strange issue. My rails environment is fully functional with enterprise ruby, rails 2.3.5, running on passenger in production. In my .irbrc I am trying to include wirble gem for auto completion and coloring so I add the following lines and install wirble. As soon as I do that, it messes up my rails install and throws an error saying "rails gem is not installed", though it's. If I uninstall wirble and leave these lines in .irbrc the problem goes away. I am guesing it has something to do with the 'require rubygems', but this is not a problem in my development environment. I have the same .irbrc, the only difference is my dev environment runs regular ruby 1.8.7 not enterprise ruby

require 'irb/completion' IRB.conf[:PROMPT_MODE] = :SIMPLE require 'rubygems' #require 'RMagick' require 'wirble'

if ENV['RAILS_ENV'] require 'rubygems' require 'hirb' require 'active_record' Hirb.enable ActiveRecord::Base.logger = Logger.new(STDOUT) end

Any ideas?

Thanks

Here is the exact error.

Missing the Rails 2.3.5 gem. Please `gem install -v=2.3.5 rails`, update your RAILS_GEM_VERSION setting in config/environment.rb for the Rails version you do have installed, or comment out RAILS_GEM_VERSION to use the latest version installed

Rails is installed!

xxx@server:/var/www/myapp/current$ rails --version Rails 2.3.5

Anyone?