rendering error page for "Unauthorized" from before_filter

Hey all,

I am writing a plugin in which I want to stop the rendering of an action with an unauthorized response if the user is not authorized to view the resource. I am using a before filter to achieve this and inside that before filter I do it like so:

render :text => "Unauthorized!", :status => :unauthorized, :layout => false

The status is properly set since I see the following in the log:

Filter chain halted as [:check_access] rendered_or_redirected. Completed in 130ms (View: 0, DB: 10) | 401 Unauthorized

So far so good. What I would like to do is to show a user a nice (static html) error page so he knows what went wrong. Taking my cue from the rails documentation, I created a file named 401.html and placed it into the public/ directory of the rails app. However, instead of this static html file I see the "Unauthorized!" text being rendered.

I also went into the rails source and tweaked the rescue module a bit so that I surely get the 'public' view of the exception:

def rescue_action_without_handler(exception)         (...)

if false && (consider_all_requests_local || local_request?) # here           rescue_action_locally(exception)         else           rescue_action_in_public(exception)         end      (...)

That did not change anything, either. Am I not doing the proper thing? Should I throw an exception (which one?) instead of rendering something and setting the http status code of the response? Or is rendering from before_filters a syntactic vinegar type of thing? (probably not).

Thank you for your help in advance, Balint

Hi,

Maybe you should try render_optional_error_file

Jan

* balint.erdi@gmail.com <balint.erdi@gmail.com> [2009-02-04 13:52:59 -0800]:

Hey, Jan, thank you.

Yes, but in fact what you suggest is the "standard procedure" of rescuing "an exception" for the public view (what I described in my first post). Rails source code:

(rescue.rb)       def rescue_action_in_public(exception) #:doc:         render_optional_error_file response_code_for_rescue(exception)       end

The problem is that it seems that "rescue_action_without_handler" does not get called if I set the response status from the before filter.

Anyway, I figured out a way, I have the following in my before filter now which works great:

render :file => "#{Rails.public_path}/401.html", :status => :unauthorized and return

Balint