Rendering a partial without evaluating the erb tags

Hi, I have a partial (_contact.html) which looks something like this

<script id="contact_template" type="text/html">   <h2><%= contact.name %></h2>   <p><%= contact.id %></p> </script>

I want to render this to the view exactly as it is show there. I don't want the erb tags evaluating. When I try and render this using: render :partial => 'contact.html'

I get an error because it is trying to evaluate the erb tags and call the name method on the non-existent contact object. I simply want to render the text, as it is written, to the view. How can I do this?

The reason for it is that I am investigating ways of JSON templating (John Resig - JavaScript Micro-Templating). I am ultimately aiming to make some of my partials reuseable between the rails code and the javascript code so that I only have to maintain them in one place. I want to carry on using <%= %> in the JSON templates. How can I tell rails just to render the partial as text and not try to evaluate it? Thanks

The only way I would think you can do it is by reading the template file into a variable in your controller and in your view escaping the string.

Not pretty.

Pepe

The only way I would think you can do it is by reading the template

file into a variable in your controller and in your view escaping the

string.

Not pretty.

Pepe

I think that having once read the template file into a variable in the controller it can be displayed without escaping in the view. The string will not be parsed as erb

Colin