refactoring a helper method

I am working on a site that does web surveys. I have created a helper method to create a likert scale table (e.g., 5 columns + row title, strongly dislike <-> strongly like). This method accepts an array of hashes and then uses the built in Rails helper form.radio_button to unwrap the hash and build the table. The function is below:

# procedurally goes into an array of hashes and generates a likert table   def likert_table(items = , f=f)     result = "" # collector string     items.each {|item| item.each {|attribute,text| result = result + likert_row(attribute,text,f)}}     return "<table class='likert_table'>               <tr class='likert_table_header_row'>                 <th></th>                 <th>Strongly Dislike</th>                       <th>Dislike</th>                       <th>Neutral</th>                 <th>Like</th>                             <th>Strongly Like</th>               </tr>               #{result}             </table>"   end

# create a row in a table with the 5 selectable radio buttons   def likert_row(attribute, text, f=f)     "<tr>       <td align='right' class='likert_row_label'>#{f.label attribute, text}</td>       <td align='center' class='likert_row'>#{f.radio_button attribute, 1}</td>       <td align='center' class='likert_row'>#{f.radio_button attribute, 2}</td>       <td align='center' class='likert_row'>#{f.radio_button attribute, 3}</td>       <td align='center' class='likert_row'>#{f.radio_button attribute, 4}</td>       <td align='center' class='likert_row'>#{f.radio_button attribute, 5}</td>     </tr>"   end

However, I had a few questions about refactoring.

First, do I need to pass "f" in both of those functions? I use it in the f.radio_button helper (as this method would be called inside a form_for) but it seems clunky to have to add "f" to the arguments every time.

Second, is using a string variable to collect the output of the iterations and then returning that string the best way to construct an iterative helper?

Third, is there a simpler way to iterate through this than an array of hashes? I can build a likert table like so:

<%= likert_table([:rates_fighting => "Fighting",                       :rates_platform => "Platform",                       :rates_shooter => "Shooter",                       :rates_action_adventure => "Action Adventure",                       :rates_system_sim => "System Simulator",                       :rates_life_sim => "Life Simulation",                       :rates_rpg => "Role Playing Game",                       :rates_mmorpg => "Online Role Playing Game",                       :rates_strategy => "Strategy",                       :rates_vehicle_sim => "Vehicle Simulation",                       :rates_music => "Music",                       :rates_puzzle => "Puzzle",                       :rates_sports => "Sports",                       :rates_casual => "Casual"],                       f)%>

...but it feels un-Railslike, especially with that dangling "f". Later I will be pulling these values from a database and using a collection instance variable. As a beginner ruby programmer I have hit my ceiling on this one. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.