REE & application frozen gems

I have the following versions of ruby installed in my production env.

ubuntu ~ > /usr/bin/ruby -v ruby 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [x86_64-linux]

ubuntu ~ > /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.7-2010.01/bin/ruby -v ruby 1.8.7 (2009-12-24 patchlevel 248) [x86_64-linux], MBARI 0x6770, Ruby Enterprise Edition 2010.01

I have frozen my gems in my application at /home/deploy/rails_apps/ my_app/vendor

Do i need to reinstall all frozen gems of my application again in REE so that apache+passenger can pick it up? Where does apache look for gems? Wont it look into my vendor directory where i have frozen gems?

No - that's the whole point of freezing a gem into your app: you don't have to install it anywhere because it's bundled in with your app

Fred

but the gems installed in the vendor directory are from my development environment. In my dev env, i dont have REE installed, so those gems were installed and frozen using the dev ruby compiler.

Shouldn't i install the gems using REE and then freeze them in prod env?

Pratik Khadloya wrote:

but the gems installed in the vendor directory are from my development environment. In my dev env, i dont have REE installed, so those gems were installed and frozen using the dev ruby compiler.

So what?

Shouldn't i install the gems using REE and then freeze them in prod env?

No. There's no need. Ruby is not compiled, so REE and MRI can run from the same source files.

Best,

Pratik Khadloya wrote:

> Shouldn't i install the gems using REE and then freeze them in prod > env?

No. There's no need. Ruby is not compiled, so REE and MRI can run from the same source files.

The only exception being if the gem had a native extension, in which case there's a rake task to rebuild it ( rake gems:build off the top of my head)

Fred

Oh ok! I get it now, actually was confused by this post http://blog.perplexedlabs.com/2009/01/13/installing-ruby-enterprise-edition-with-phusion-passenger/ where it says that you need to reinstall all gems and had will_paginate in the list. I dont think will_paginate requires any native extensions.

1. Ruby is not compiled. 2. Need to re-install only those gems which have a native extension.

1 more thing, do i need to set the path variable to point to /opt/ruby- enterprise-1.8.7-2010.01/bin/ruby instead of /usr/bin/ruby, so that any operations i do on my application residing at /home/deploy/ rails_apps/my_app the REE is used?