redirecting to a different controller from a search box

Hi,-

I have a main page with a search box. When the user enters a query and hits "Search" I want to redirect him to another page (another controller with a search action), and display the results on that page. My form looks like this:

<% form_tag({:controller => "projects", :action => "search"}, :method => "get") do %>         <label for ="q">Enter search phrase: </label>         <%= text_field_tag "q", params[:q] %>         <input type ="submit" value="Go" />     <% end %>

The error I get is:

ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound in ProjectsController#show

Couldn't find Project with ID=search

How do I override the default route for this, so it doesn't think search is an id?

http://localhost:3000/projects/search?q=foo ?

Thanks.

How do I override the default route for this, so it doesn't think search is an id?

I can think of a few solutions to this. One way would be to add a named route above your resource route: map.projects_search 'projects/search', :controller => 'project_search', :action => 'search'

Another possible way would be to use conditions on your existing route mapping, but I'm not expert enough in routing to tell you how to do that.

That being said, do you really need your search action to be moved out to a different controller? Maybe you do, and that's fine, but I wanted to get you to think about whether it's really necessary. Instead you could just add a custom action to your existing projects controller:

map.resources :projects, :collection => { :search => :get }

Vahagn Hayrapetyan wrote:

Hi,-

I have a main page with a search box. When the user enters a query and hits "Search" I want to redirect him to another page (another controller with a search action), and display the results on that page. My form looks like this:

<% form_tag({:controller => "projects", :action => "search"}, :method => "get") do %>         <label for ="q">Enter search phrase: </label>         <%= text_field_tag "q", params[:q] %>         <input type ="submit" value="Go" />     <% end %>

The error I get is:

ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound in ProjectsController#show

Couldn't find Project with ID=search

http://localhost:3000/projects/search?q=foo ?

Thanks.

you are useing get method so the action name will passed as params[:id] just remove get method then try