recognize_path

Hello all,

While looking into a issue posted on the Lockdown forum I came across the following:

ActionController::Routing::Routes.recognize_path “/users/1/edit” => {:action=>“1”, :controller=>“users”, :id=>“edit”}

Notice the :action and :id value swap.

Is this a mis-use of the recognize_path method…In other words, is it intended to be used with named routes only? Or is this just a simple bug that needs to be fixed?

thanks, andy

Hello all,

While looking into a issue posted on the Lockdown forum I came across the following:

ActionController::Routing::Routes.recognize_path "/users/1/edit" => {:action=>"1", :controller=>"users", :id=>"edit"}

Notice the :action and :id value swap.

Is this a mis-use of the recognize_path method...In other words, is it intended to be used with named routes only? Or is this just a simple bug that needs to be fixed?

Technically it might not even be a bug, it seems to be matching on :controller/:action/:id. What do you have in your routes file?

But even more fundamentally, why are you calling recognize_path directly? Perhaps there's an easier way?

Technically it might not even be a bug, it seems to be matching on

:controller/:action/:id. What do you have in your routes file?

But even more fundamentally, why are you calling recognize_path

directly? Perhaps there’s an easier way?

If there is an easier way, that would be great.

The routes file contains just a simple map.resources :users.

It’s being used in lockdown for the case when someone passes in a named route to the link_to method, such as:

link_to “Login”, login_path

I need to get the actual path to either grant/deny the ability to show the link. I was using recognize_path to return the hash related to the named route.

Does that explain it? Let me know if more info is needed.

thanks, andy

It’s being used in lockdown for the case when someone passes in a named route to the link_to method, such as:

I need to get the actual path to either grant/deny the ability to show the link. I was using recognize_path to return the hash related to the named route.

To add a little more…

If the request is http://localhost:3000/login

and

map.login, :controller => “sessions”, :action => “destroy”

I need to know that /login => {:controller => “sessions”, :action => "destroy} when the request is made. So, it’s just not the link_to call.

thanks again, andy

map.login, :controller => “sessions”, :action => “destroy”

ooops. typing too fast: :action => “new” for login. doh!

Does the /users/1/edit url actually *go* to the right place when you access it?

It's being used in lockdown for the case when someone passes in a named route to the link_to method, such as:

link_to "Login", login_path

I assume map.connect ':controller/:action/:id' is either removed or comes *after* the map.resources call? If it's the other way around then this if functioning as intended.

Does the /users/1/edit url actually go to the right place when you access it?

Yes it does.

It’s being used in lockdown for the case when someone passes in a named

route to the link_to method, such as:

I need to get the actual path to either grant/deny the ability to show the

link. I was using recognize_path to return the hash related to the named

route.

I assume map.connect ‘:controller/:action/:id’ is either removed or

comes after the map.resources call? If it’s the other way around

then this if functioning as intended.

map.connect ‘:controller/:action/:id’ is at the end of my routes file. This is the way it should be, right?

Yes it does.

Well that's very strange...

map.connect ':controller/:action/:id' is at the end of my routes file. This is the way it should be, right?

The only other thing I can think of is the request method, which is also something that affects route matching. you may need to provide recognize_path with more information in the enviroment hash to make sure it matches correctly. If you can reproduce this in a tiny test app, and upload it to lighthouse, people may be able to give you a hand. Similarly if you can make it fail in the routing tests that'd make things easier.