Rake gives Command failed with status (1):

I am trying to run rake on an app I have made. This is what happens

neil@neil-laptop:~/************$ rake test:units --trace (in /home/neil/************) ** Invoke test:units (first_time) ** Invoke db:test:prepare (first_time) ** Invoke db:abort_if_pending_migrations (first_time) ** Invoke environment (first_time) ** Execute environment ** Execute db:abort_if_pending_migrations ** Execute db:test:prepare ** Invoke db:test:load (first_time) ** Invoke db:test:purge (first_time) ** Invoke environment ** Execute db:test:purge ** Execute db:test:load ** Invoke db:schema:load (first_time) ** Invoke environment ** Execute db:schema:load ** Execute test:units /usr/bin/ruby1.8 -I"lib:test" "/home/neil/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake/rake_test_loader.rb" "test/unit/story_test.rb" "test/unit/user_mailer_test.rb" "test/unit/user_test.rb" "test/unit/helpers/community_helper_test.rb" "test/unit/helpers/friendship_helper_test.rb" "test/unit/helpers/profile_helper_test.rb" "test/unit/comment_test.rb" "test/unit/friendship_test.rb" ruby index.rb <data dir> <index dir> rake aborted! Command failed with status (1): [/usr/bin/ruby1.8 -I"lib:test" "/home/neil/...]

Any ideas?

I'm still stuck, can't make an tests work

I have created a test application. It only has one model. When I run tests on it it runs but still comes up with the same error message ie

1) Failure: test_should_not_be_valid_without_story(AnnnetteTest)     [./test/unit/annnette_test.rb:6:in `test_should_not_be_valid_without_story'      /home/neil/annnette/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/testing/setup_and_teardown.rb:94:in `__send__'      /home/neil/annnette/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/testing/setup_and_teardown.rb:94:in `run']: <nil> is not true.

1 tests, 1 assertions, 1 failures, 0 errors rake aborted! Command failed with status (1): [/usr/bin/ruby1.8 -I"lib:test" "/usr/lib/ru...]

Any ideas?

I have created a test application. It only has one model. When I run tests on it it runs but still comes up with the same error message ie

1) Failure: test_should_not_be_valid_without_story(AnnnetteTest)

So your test is failing. Either you have written the test incorrectly or your application is not right. If you do not understand why the test is failing show us the code of the test and we may be able to help.

[./test/unit/annnette_test.rb:6:in

That is the line in your test where it is failing

`test_should_not_be_valid_without_story' /home/neil/annnette/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/testing/setup_and_teardown.rb:94:in `__send__' /home/neil/annnette/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/testing/setup_and_teardown.rb:94:in `run']: <nil> is not true.

You have a test for something true, but it is actually nil.

Colin

This is the test, it looks OK to me. require 'test_helper'

class AnnnetteTest < ActiveSupport::TestCase def test_should_not_be_valid_without_story a = Annnette.create(:story => 'Neil') assert a.errors.on(:story) end

end

Gleble

Please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread. Insert your comments at appropriate point in previous message. Thanks.

class AnnnetteTest < ActiveSupport::TestCase def test_should_not_be_valid_without_story a = Annnette.create(:story => 'Neil') assert a.errors.on(:story)

So what can you deduce from this? The test says a.errors.on(:story) should be true. When you run the test it says it is nil. Your app is allowing the create without generating errors. However the test looks a bit odd. The name suggests that you are checking that you cannot create an Annnette without a story, yet you appear to be giving it one ('Neil').

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #962761:

Please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread. Insert your comments at appropriate point in previous message. Thanks.

class AnnnetteTest < ActiveSupport::TestCase def test_should_not_be_valid_without_story a = Annnette.create(:story => 'Neil') assert a.errors.on(:story)

So what can you deduce from this? The test says a.errors.on(:story) should be true. When you run the test it says it is nil. Your app is allowing the create without generating errors. However the test looks a bit odd. The name suggests that you are checking that you cannot create an Annnette without a story, yet you appear to be giving it one ('Neil').

Colin

So I change line 6 to

a = Annnette.create(:story => nil)

and I still get

1) Failure: test_should_not_be_valid_without_story(AnnnetteTest)     [./test/unit/annnette_test.rb:6:in `test_should_not_be_valid_without_story'      /home/neil/annnette/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/testing/setup_and_teardown.rb:94:in `__send__'      /home/neil/annnette/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/testing/setup_and_teardown.rb:94:in `run']: <nil> is not true.

1 tests, 1 assertions, 1 failures, 0 errors rake aborted! Command failed with status (1): [/usr/bin/ruby1.8 -I"lib:test" "/usr/lib/ru...]

You will have to look at the code of the app and work out why.

Presumably somewhere in your code you have attempted to prevent the creation without a story.

If you cannot see what is wrong with that code (the code that prevents the creation without a story) then you could look at the Rails Guide on debugging to help you to find out what is going on.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #962765:

class AnnnetteTest < ActiveSupport::TestCase

[./test/unit/annnette_test.rb:6:in `test_should_not_be_valid_without_story'

/home/neil/annnette/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/testing/setup_and_teardown.rb:94:in

`__send__'

/home/neil/annnette/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/testing/setup_and_teardown.rb:94:in

`run']: <nil> is not true.

You will have to look at the code of the app and work out why.

Presumably somewhere in your code you have attempted to prevent the creation without a story.

If you cannot see what is wrong with that code (the code that prevents the creation without a story) then you could look at the Rails Guide on debugging to help you to find out what is going on.

Colin

That can't be so because this works

neil@baby6:~/annnette$ script/console Loading development environment (Rails 2.2.3)

a = Annnette.create(:story => 'neil')

=> #<Annnette id: 3, story: "neil", created_at: "2010-11-20 12:58:11", updated_at: "2010-11-20 12:58:11">

I am losing track of this conversation. I think we had better start again. Can you explain: 1. What the test you wrote is attempting to check. 2. What code you have written in the application to perform the operation that the test is checking.

Colin

You should possibly not be using .create as that does a save at that point. The save will fail (because there's no story) and "a" won't be assigned anything.

instead, try: a = Annnette.new(:story => nil)

Or load a valid Annnette from your fixtures (or factories), set the story to nil, and check the errors.

Colin Law wrote in post #962775:

=> #<Annnette id: 3, story: "neil", created_at: "2010-11-20 12:58:11", updated_at: "2010-11-20 12:58:11">

I am losing track of this conversation. I think we had better start again. Can you explain: 1. What the test you wrote is attempting to check. 2. What code you have written in the application to perform the operation that the test is checking.

Colin

1.It should show an error if an attempt is made to create a story without a story entry. 2.This is from annnettes_controller.rb

def create     @annnette = Annnette.new(params[:annnette])

respond_to do |format|       if @annnette.save         flash[:notice] = 'Annnette was successfully created.'         format.html { redirect_to(@annnette) }         format.xml { render :xml => @annnette, :status => :created, :location => @annnette }       else         format.html { render :action => "new" }         format.xml { render :xml => @annnette.errors, :status => :unprocessable_entity }       end     end   end

It is a very simple app made with scaffold to try and understand the problems with my main app which started this thread.

I don't see anything there stopping a save if there is no story. Anyway this code is not called when you call Annnette.create, the create method of the model is called. As Michael has pointed out you probably want to use new rather than create in the test, but you still need code to stop the save if there is no story. Usually this would be done by a validation in the controller.

Colin

But you're testing a Model... so the controller code is not very useful to help with what's going on :-/

Michael Pavling wrote in post #962781:

Michael Pavling wrote in post #962781:

But you're testing a Model... so the controller code is not very useful to help with what's going on :-/

There is no code in models/annette.rb

no "validates_presence_of :annnette"?

I would be happy if any test worked

If you're writing code to validate db updates in your controller, and trying to test them with unit tests, I suggest you take a couple of steps back, buy and read the "Agile Web Development With Rails" book, and move forward from there.

Regards,

If you just want a test that works then change your existing test to one that checks that you _can_ create an object if you _do_ provide a story, use new instead of create and change the assert to assert_nil, something like

class AnnnetteTest < ActiveSupport::TestCase def test_should_be_valid_with_story a = Annnette.new(:story => 'Neil') assert_nil a.errors.on(:story) end

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #962795:

class AnnnetteTest < ActiveSupport::TestCase def test_should_be_valid_with_story a = Annnette.new(:story => 'Neil') assert_nil a.errors.on(:story) end

Colin

OK that worked so I changed the test in my other app (the one that matters) to

class StoryTest < ActiveSupport::TestCase   def test_should_be_valid_with_author     s = Story.create(:author => 'neil', :title => 'Story', :body => 'test')     assert s.errors.on(:author)   end

When I run the test I still get

neil@baby6:~/********$ rake test:units (in /home/neil/********) /usr/bin/ruby1.8 -I"lib:test" "/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake/rake_test_loader.rb" "test/unit/comment_test.rb" "test/unit/user_mailer_test.rb" "test/unit/friendship_test.rb" "test/unit/helpers/friendship_helper_test.rb" "test/unit/helpers/profile_helper_test.rb" "test/unit/helpers/community_helper_test.rb" "test/unit/user_test.rb" "test/unit/story_test.rb" ruby index.rb <data dir> <index dir> rake aborted! Command failed with status (1): [/usr/bin/ruby1.8 -I"lib:test" "/usr/lib/ru...]

Gleble

Colin Law wrote in post #962795:

Colin

OK that worked so I changed the test in my other app (the one that matters) to

class StoryTest < ActiveSupport::TestCase def test_should_be_valid_with_author s = Story.create(:author => 'neil', :title => 'Story', :body => 'test')

What is that create doing there?

assert s.errors.on(:author)

That should be assert_nil if you expect no errors.

end

When I run the test I still get

neil@baby6:~/********$ rake test:units (in /home/neil/********) /usr/bin/ruby1.8 -I"lib:test" "/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake/rake_test_loader.rb" "test/unit/comment_test.rb" "test/unit/user_mailer_test.rb" "test/unit/friendship_test.rb" "test/unit/helpers/friendship_helper_test.rb" "test/unit/helpers/profile_helper_test.rb" "test/unit/helpers/community_helper_test.rb" "test/unit/user_test.rb" "test/unit/story_test.rb" ruby index.rb <data dir> <index dir> rake aborted! Command failed with status (1): [/usr/bin/ruby1.8 -I"lib:test" "/usr/lib/ru...]

That is a completely different error, it is rake that is aborting, not the test that is failing (that is why it says 'rake aborted'). It has not got as far as running the tests, so the content of the tests is immaterial. Show us the rest of the message - but first look through it yourself and see if you can see what is the problem, or at least some hint as to the problem. The next bit that you have not showed us may well be the key.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #962810:

That is a completely different error, it is rake that is aborting, not the test that is failing (that is why it says 'rake aborted'). It has not got as far as running the tests, so the content of the tests is immaterial. Show us the rest of the message - but first look through it yourself and see if you can see what is the problem, or at least some hint as to the problem. The next bit that you have not showed us may well be the key.

Colin

That's what I thought at first. I built the test app t try and make sure the test bit worked . Anyhow heres the whole thing.

Gleble

neil@baby6:~/*****$ rake test:units --trace (in /home/neil/******) ** Invoke test:units (first_time) ** Invoke db:test:prepare (first_time) ** Invoke db:abort_if_pending_migrations (first_time) ** Invoke environment (first_time) ** Execute environment ** Execute db:abort_if_pending_migrations ** Execute db:test:prepare ** Invoke db:test:load (first_time) ** Invoke db:test:purge (first_time) ** Invoke environment ** Execute db:test:purge ** Execute db:test:load ** Invoke db:schema:load (first_time) ** Invoke environment ** Execute db:schema:load ** Execute test:units /usr/bin/ruby1.8 -I"lib:test" "/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake/rake_test_loader.rb" "test/unit/comment_test.rb" "test/unit/user_mailer_test.rb" "test/unit/friendship_test.rb" "test/unit/helpers/friendship_helper_test.rb" "test/unit/helpers/profile_helper_test.rb" "test/unit/helpers/community_helper_test.rb" "test/unit/user_test.rb" "test/unit/story_test.rb" ruby index.rb <data dir> <index dir> rake aborted! Command failed with status (1): [/usr/bin/ruby1.8 -I"lib:test" "/usr/lib/ru...] /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:995 /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:1010:in `call' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:1010:in `sh' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:1094:in `sh' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:1029:in `ruby' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:1094:in `ruby' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake/testtask.rb:117 /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:1112:in `verbose' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake/testtask.rb:102 /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:636:in `call' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:636:in `execute' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:631:in `each' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:631:in `execute' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:597:in `invoke_with_call_chain' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/monitor.rb:242:in `synchronize' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:590:in `invoke_with_call_chain' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:583:in `invoke' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2051:in `invoke_task' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2029:in `top_level' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2029:in `each' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2029:in `top_level' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2068:in `standard_exception_handling' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2023:in `top_level' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2001:in `run' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:2068:in `standard_exception_handling' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rake.rb:1998:in `run' /usr/bin/rake:28