rake dependency error

Rake no longer works for me at all. I think this is a result of having upgraded some gems (including the RubyGem system itself), but not others, some kind of dependency problem. (I actually didn't mean to upgrade this stuff, but typed stuff into the wrong terminal window. Doh! Don't think there's any good way to 'downgrade' RubyGems itself?).

But now, every time I try to run rake, to do anything at all, I get:

[rochkind@app01 ~]$ rake -v /usr/bin/rake:17: undefined method `require_gem' for main:Object (NoMethodError)

Any ideas how I fix this?

Jonathan

Hmm, actually, responding to my own question as soon as I posted it, uninstalling and then reinstalling the latest rake seems to have done it:

"sudo gem uninstall rake -v 0.8.3"

"sudo gem update rake".

rake -v runs again, at least.

Still wondering if there's any good way to 'downgrade' the RubyGems installation itself, that I accidentally upgraded with "gem update --system" before I was really ready to. All the individual gems I can uninstall versions I don't want (or use other solutions to have my applications using the versions I want), but the RubyGems system itself, once I upgraded accidentally with --system, there seems to be no good way to go back?

Jonathan

Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

Your solution didn't work for me. Even after uninstalling all versions of rake and reinstalling. rake -v still doesn't run.

I fixed the problem by going into /usr/bin/rake and changing line 17 to just gem instead of require_gem

1 #!/usr/bin/ruby       2 #       3 # This file was generated by RubyGems.       4 #       5 # The application 'rake' is installed as part of a gem, and       6 # this file is here to facilitate running it.       7 #       8       9 require 'rubygems'      10 version = "> 0"      11 if ARGV.size > 0 && ARGV[0][0]==95 && ARGV[0][-1]==95      12 if Gem::Version.correct?(ARGV[0][1..-2])      13 version = ARGV[0][1..-2]      14 ARGV.shift      15 end      16 end      17 gem 'rake', version      18 load 'rake'