Rails with PHPBB forums... How to do it

Hi,

I like Ruby on rails for my web development, and I like PHPBB forums as well.

I think wordpress, Jhoomla and PHPBB forms are the best thing happed to PHP community.

And Rails is the best inspiration for all.

I would just like to icorporate PHP and wordpress inside my Rails website.

I will be using MySQl as my database.

I wonder if anyone has implemented it with a smooth functioning. If yest then pl. guide me more on this.

I am sure, many would like to go this way.

Pl. do not suggest us to use Ruby CMS and Ruby Forums. I want something more elegant

Thanks

There are plenty of Rails alternatives to forums. There’s El Dorado for one, Beast too. I’m also developing my own forum “software” if you would like to try it out, it’s at http://github.com/radar/rboard

I like Ruby on rails for my web development, and I like PHPBB forums as well. I think wordpress, Jhoomla and PHPBB forms are the best thing happed to PHP community. And Rails is the best inspiration for all. I would just like to icorporate PHP and wordpress inside my Rails website. I will be using MySQl as my database. I wonder if anyone has implemented it with a smooth functioning. If yest then pl. guide me more on this. I am sure, many would like to go this way. Pl. do not suggest us to use Ruby CMS and Ruby Forums. I want something more elegant

My advice would be to look at something other than phpbb. I've done it. It isn't fun. I did it with 2.x (don't recall which version) so maybe it's gotten better, but the only way to integrate the two were some ugly hacks to create the appropriate database records in the forum database on user signup (our users are in our website, not in our forums) and then to hack up all the login/logout pages of the forums to make cookies work. It makes upgrading a real pain.

Also, our forum moderators can't stand phpbb. For what that's worth.

What I don't understand is why every forum app out there assumes the users will be in *its* database. Seems none of them ship with login hooks allowing you to easily authenticate against some external resource. *sigh*

Maybe that's all changed in newer releases, but if it hasn't, I'd advise you to look at something else.

-philip