Rails server on linux

Hi,

I am trying to decide which Linux OS to use to implement rails server. I don't know if Debian is better or CentOS is better. Which one is easier to install, update and maintain rails server?

Also, which rails application server do you recommend besides passenger with apache 2?

Thanks!

kitty00 wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to decide which Linux OS to use to implement rails server. I don't know if Debian is better or CentOS is better. Which one is easier to install, update and maintain rails server?

I'd recommend Ubuntu. Everything just works.

Also, which rails application server do you recommend besides passenger with apache 2?

Passenger is a great choice. I've heard good things about JRuby with the Glassfish gem, but I use Passenger and Ruby EE myself.

Thanks!

Best,

I've had no issues with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. That's running Rails 2.1.0, ruby 1.8.6, nginx, mongrel_cluster, and MySQL.

And Ubuntu 9.04 is running fine at home as well with Rails 2.3.2, ruby 1.8.6, nginx, mongrel_cluster, MySQL.

Have running on Ubuntu 9.04, Rails 2.3.3, ruby 1.9.1p243. Only problem is I cannot get mongrel web server to run on 1.9.1p243.

Also running on Debian, with ruby 1.8.6 Rails 2.3.4

Cheers

Ar Chron wrote:

I've had no issues with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. That's running Rails 2.1.0, ruby 1.8.6, nginx, mongrel_cluster, and MySQL.

And Ubuntu 9.04 is running fine at home as well with Rails 2.3.2, ruby 1.8.6, nginx, mongrel_cluster, MySQL.

I've never used Nginx (well, except on a client's box where I didn't really have to touch that part), partly because last time I tried to read the docs, they were mostly по-русский, and my Russian just isn't that good. Also, I usually seem to need Apache anyway for other things on the same box.

What's the advantage of Nginx? Less resource-heavy?

Best,

I don't know if Debian is better or CentOS is better.

99% of the software you find inside will be the same. Every Linux distro uses the same glibc, same gcc, same Linux kernel, only difference being the packages are slightly different versions based on when the distro was published.

The _big_ difference in Linux distros is the package management. Your two main options are rpm or dpkg. I prefer dpkg.

Nginx + mongrel cluster works pretty well for me.

kitty00 wrote:

Hi,

I pretty much agree with the others, for easy of use go with Ubuntu. I am using x86_64 Kubuntu 9.04 which is a KDE version of Ubuntu, the package manager makes installation a breeze.

Hi,

I've had some problems with Debian and Ubuntu in what comes to the version of the rubygems package. Usually it's outdated and if you need too new gems versions you will have problems. My recommendation is alwasy Debian for a server (Even when I use Arch Linux on all my workstations). But I strongly suggest you to only install rubygems from Debian's package repository and then manage your gems with the "gem" command, since rubygems are distribution independant, you shouldn't base your installation on another package management that the gem itself.

I think Apache + Passenger is the best choice. Easy to set up and maintain, besides nobody can argue apache's history on stability and performance.

Hope it helps

Thank you for the suggestion! I do prefer Debian as a server.

Thank you for the clarification!

I've had some problems with Debian and Ubuntu in what comes to the version of the rubygems package. Usually it's outdated and if you need too new gems versions you will have problems.

Install rubygems manually, always, period.

I think Apache + Passenger is the best choice.

Nginx + Passenger. Nothing beats it, unless you have some specific module requirement.

I use Debian on my server. I've had a major issue with the Ruby version in Etch which was too old, now I'm on Lenny, and everything is fine.

Fernando Perez wrote:

I've had some problems with Debian and Ubuntu in what comes to the version of the rubygems package. Usually it's outdated and if you need too new gems versions you will have problems.

Install rubygems manually, always, period.

I don't seem to recall any problems on Ubuntu with installing rubygems itself from the package manager. (Of course, then I use rubygems, not the package manager, to install specific gems.)

I think Apache + Passenger is the best choice.

Nginx + Passenger. Nothing beats it, unless you have some specific module requirement.

I'll try that sometime. For the second time in this thread, though: why is Nginx better? Just speed? Resource usage? Maintainability? Something else?

I use Debian on my server. I've had a major issue with the Ruby version in Etch which was too old, now I'm on Lenny, and everything is fine.

Best,

I'll try that sometime. For the second time in this thread, though: why is Nginx better? Just speed?

It's the fastest I've ever used.

Resource usage?

It uses the least memory of anything I've tried

Maintainability?

The configuration syntax is very terse, especially compared to Apache.

Something else?

All the cool kids are using it.

Thanks! I will give it a try!