rails not rerouting to new page

i am running virtual rails on linux mint. i created a controller in my commnad prompt. then i opened up the public folder and delted index.html .. after this I opened up the rails application i created and went to config / routes.rb. I am trying to re route or add a new route to the default page. I have pasted the code below.

I tried editing the line map.root :controller => "welcome" and i changed welcome to "site" but it didnt re route......Can someone please tell me which line to edit and what to put in the line?

ActionController::Routing::Routes.draw do |map|   # The priority is based upon order of creation: first created -> highest priority.

# Sample of regular route:   # map.connect 'products/:id', :controller => 'catalog', :action => 'view'   # Keep in mind you can assign values other than :controller and :action

# Sample of named route:   # map.purchase 'products/:id/purchase', :controller => 'catalog', :action => 'purchase'   # This route can be invoked with purchase_url(:id => product.id)

# Sample resource route (maps HTTP verbs to controller actions automatically):   # map.resources :products

# Sample resource route with options:   # map.resources :products, :member => { :short => :get, :toggle => :post }, :collection => { :sold => :get }

# Sample resource route with sub-resources:   # map.resources :products, :has_many => [ :comments, :sales ], :has_one => :seller

# Sample resource route with more complex sub-resources   # map.resources :products do |products|   # products.resources :comments   # products.resources :sales, :collection => { :recent => :get }   # end

# Sample resource route within a namespace:   # map.namespace :admin do |admin|   # # Directs /admin/products/* to Admin::ProductsController (app/ controllers/admin/products_controller.rb)   # admin.resources :products   # end

# You can have the root of your site routed with map.root -- just remember to delete public/index.html.    map.root :controller => "welcome"

# See how all your routes lay out with "rake routes"

# Install the default routes as the lowest priority.   # Note: These default routes make all actions in every controller accessible via GET requests. You should   # consider removing or commenting them out if you're using named routes and resources.   map.connect ':controller/:action/:id'   map.connect ':controller/:action/:id.:format' end

You have not changed this line. Change welcome to the name of your controller.

Assuming you have done this and it still does not work then show us the error when you go to http://localhost:3000/

In fact you might be best first to have a look at the Getting Started guide at http://guides.rubyonrails.org/ and for routes in particular you will find one on that also. In fact look at them all.

Colin

running virtual rails on linux mint with rails 2.3.4

im having trouble redirecting routes so here is what ive done by following tutorials:

i opened rails directory and created rails_test then i ran script/server to boot mongrel i opened another terminal and changed directory to rails_test i then ran script/generate controller site index about help then i went back to terminal and typed rm public/index.html to remove index page after this i went to rails_test folder then navigated and opened config routes.rb once in routes.rb i changed the following line:

map.root :controller => "welcome" to... map.root :controller => "site"

i then got an error message stating something went wrong after opening browser and navigating to http://localhost:3000/ i have pasted below the routes.rb file the only thing i changed was map.root :controller => "welcome" to...... map.root :controller => "site"

ActionController::Routing::Routes.draw do |map| # The priority is based upon order of creation: first created -> highest priority.

# Sample of regular route: # map.connect 'products/:id', :controller => 'catalog', :action => 'view' # Keep in mind you can assign values other than :controller and :action

# Sample of named route: # map.purchase 'products/:id/purchase', :controller => 'catalog', :action => 'purchase' # This route can be invoked with purchase_url(:id => product.id)

# Sample resource route (maps HTTP verbs to controller actions automatically): # map.resources :products

# Sample resource route with options: # map.resources :products, :member => { :short => :get, :toggle => :post }, :collection => { :sold => :get }

# Sample resource route with sub-resources: # map.resources :products, :has_many => [ :comments, :sales ], :has_one => :seller

# Sample resource route with more complex sub-resources # map.resources :products do |products| # products.resources :comments # products.resources :sales, :collection => { :recent => :get } # end

# Sample resource route within a namespace: # map.namespace :admin do |admin| # # Directs /admin/products/* to Admin::ProductsController (app/ controllers/admin/products_controller.rb) # admin.resources :products # end

# You can have the root of your site routed with map.root -- just remember to delete public/index.html.    map.root :controller => "site"

# See how all your routes lay out with "rake routes"

# Install the default routes as the lowest priority. # Note: These default routes make all actions in every controller accessible via GET requests. You should # consider removing or commenting them out if you're using named routes and resources. map.connect ':controller/:action/:id' map.connect ':controller/:action/:id.:format' end

running virtual rails on linux mint with rails 2.3.4

im having trouble redirecting routes so here is what ive done by following tutorials:

i opened rails directory and created rails_test then i ran script/server to boot mongrel i opened another terminal and changed directory to rails_test i then ran script/generate controller site index about help then i went back to terminal and typed rm public/index.html to remove index page after this i went to rails_test folder then navigated and opened config routes.rb once in routes.rb i changed the following line:

map.root :controller => "welcome" to... map.root :controller => "site"

i then got an error message stating something went wrong after opening browser and navigating to http://localhost:3000/

Have you looked in the log file (log/development.log assuming you are running in development mode), there may well be more information there. I think I have already suggested that but you have not said what you found. Also look in the window where you started the server running (presumably you did start the server though you did not mention this), there may be more there.

My best guess is that you have not setup the database correctly in database.yml. That should be clear from the log however.

Also please do not top post, insert your reply into the previous message. Thanks

Colin

Thank you Colin. I believe you may be correct about the logfile. I did change the name of the controller so it must be something else. I will follow what you suggested and get back to you if I still havent solved the problem. I replied in a different section so I hope this prevented the top posting you mentioned..