Rails Misconfigured - Missing Welcome Page

I'm using DigitalOcean as my hosting provider as I have some simple sites there. I thought I'd try to setup rails on a domain there to see what I could accomplish.

OS: Ubuntu 12.04 x32 Rails: 4.0.0 Ruby: 2.0.0p247 nginx: 1.1.19 MariaDB: 10.0.4 Passenger: 4.0.19 node.js: 0.6.12 Thin: 1.5.1

When I hit the sight, I get "Welcome to nginx!" which is encouraging. I go back to the console and run 'rails server' and I can see Thin running fine (replaced WEBrick with Thin).

Going back to the site I'm still seeing the "Welcome to nginx!" message. I was hoping to see the Rails default page.

What am I doing wrong? I can supply any information needed.

Thanks! phoyce

Using passenger I would assume you are using a virtual host. Do you have that virtual host defined in your dns or etc/hosts? Are you addressing the virtual host by name? It would be expected that you would just see the nginx default page if you are going to your assigned host name.

Norm

I'm using DigitalOcean as my hosting provider as I have some simple sites there. I thought I'd try to setup rails on a domain there to see what I could accomplish.

OS: Ubuntu 12.04 x32 Rails: 4.0.0 Ruby: 2.0.0p247 nginx: 1.1.19 MariaDB: 10.0.4 Passenger: 4.0.19 node.js: 0.6.12 Thin: 1.5.1

When I hit the sight, I get "Welcome to nginx!" which is encouraging. I go back to the console and run 'rails server' and I can see Thin running fine (replaced WEBrick with Thin).

This isn't how you deploy on a public server. rails server starts a mini-server in the console, with logging to stdout, and is meant for localhost hacking only. Please investigate Passenger (mod_rails) or any other application server, which you can slot into nginx or Apache2 with great ease. Copy, paste, profit!

Walter

Walter Davis wrote in post #1122578:

node.js: 0.6.12 Thin: 1.5.1

This isn't how you deploy on a public server. rails server starts a mini-server in the console, with logging to stdout, and is meant for localhost hacking only. Please investigate Passenger (mod_rails) or any other application server, which you can slot into nginx or Apache2 with great ease. Copy, paste, profit!

Walter

Thanks Walter. Still new to Rails (obviously). I didn't know 'rails server' was for local testing.

So, now I have Passenger installed. When I run 'passenger-memory-stats' I have some concerns.

1. There must be some remnant of Apache on the system because I get a "WARNING: The Apache executable cannot be found." I had removed Apache2 because I am now using Nginx.

2. Looking at the Nginx processes and Passenger processes they are both 0. How can there be 0 Nginx processes when I go to my site and see 'Welcome to Nginx!'?

I'm a bit confused here. Can you clarify things?

There are three or more ways to install passenger. After you install the gem with gem install passenger, you then need to run the passenger-install-nginx command (and look that up in the install docs -- I am just doing this from memory) and make configuration changes in your site conf file for nginx to know where to look for its rubies. There's also this passenger-solo or something like that which can run without any Web server at all.

Walter