Rails Installation Fails - InstantRails 1.3a

I downloaded InstantRails 1.3a, and unzipped it to c:\InstantRails

I then ran

gem install rails --include-dependencies

in the Ruby Console Window

A lot of it worked, but I saw these errors (with a bit of surrounding output)

Installing RDoc documentation for activerecord-1.15.3... Installing RDoc documentation for actionpack-1.13.3...

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1061:30: ':' not followed by identified or oper ator

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1065:39: ':' not followed by identified or oper ator Installing RDoc documentation for actionmailer-1.3.3...

I'm working from the book "Build your own Ruby on Rails Application", and hoping that these were benign errors ( :wink: ) I continued and ran

rails shovell

That appeared to run OK, but then I tried to test the blank application and got this

C:\InstantRails\rails_apps\shovell>ruby script/server ./script/../config/boot.rb:29: undefined method `gem' for main:Object (NoMethodE rror)         from script/server:2

Can someone point me in the right direction to fix these problems, and get a little bit further into this.

Thanks.

RobertPhoenix wrote:

I downloaded InstantRails 1.3a, and unzipped it to c:\InstantRails

I then ran

gem install rails --include-dependencies

in the Ruby Console Window

A lot of it worked, but I saw these errors (with a bit of surrounding output)

Installing RDoc documentation for activerecord-1.15.3... Installing RDoc documentation for actionpack-1.13.3...

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1061:30: ':' not followed by identified or oper ator

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1065:39: ':' not followed by identified or oper ator Installing RDoc documentation for actionmailer-1.3.3...

I'm working from the book "Build your own Ruby on Rails Application", and hoping that these were benign errors ( :wink: ) I continued and ran

rails shovell

That appeared to run OK, but then I tried to test the blank application and got this

C:\InstantRails\rails_apps\shovell>ruby script/server ./script/../config/boot.rb:29: undefined method `gem' for main:Object (NoMethodE rror)         from script/server:2

Can someone point me in the right direction to fix these problems, and get a little bit further into this.

Thanks.

I'm sorry this doesn't answer your question, but InstantRails is up to version 1.7 using Rails 1.2.3 and Ruby 1.8.6.

Cheers Mohit.

Thanks for the response. I was trying to use 1.3a, because that is the version used in the book I am reading, and I'd like the text to match what I see - at least while I am learning (in particular I understand there has been some change in breakpoint client behavior)

I'm going to see if I can install the latest version of instant rails in parallel, and see if that has the same or different errors on my machine.

Robert.

I did an installation of 1.7, and everything appears to run OK.

So it appears that 1.3a will no longer create a usable environment.

On to the next problem!

RobertPhoenix wrote:

I did an installation of 1.7, and everything appears to run OK.

So it appears that 1.3a will no longer create a usable environment.

On to the next problem!

Good to know! :slight_smile: Cheers Mohit.