gem server doc page has broken rdoc link for rails

Yup, newbie. Working my way through the Agile ... Rails book and updated gem, rails, rake, and sqlite3 as per the book instructions. Then tried out the nifty "gem server" command to access the documentation. Everything is there except the rails rdoc link is broken:

`/doc_root/rails-2.3.4/rdoc/index.html' not found.

I found the documentation at /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc (I am on a Mac). There are rails-1.2.6 and rails-2.2.2 directories that have rdoc and ri directories which are empty. I manually created a rails-2.3.4/rdoc directory and copied in the api docs I manually created by:

rails_apps> rails dummy_app rails_apps> cd dummy_app dummy_app> rake rails:freeze:gems dummy_app> rake doc:rails

The link is still broken. Of all the searching I did on this problem in Google and this group,I found two useful suggestions:

1) Uninstall and reinstall gem, but I can't find any instructions to do this.

2) Generate the docs manually:

sudo gem rdoc rails

Installing ri documentation for rails-1.2.6... Installing ri documentation for rails-2.2.2... Installing ri documentation for rails-2.3.4... Installing RDoc documentation for rails-1.2.6... Installing RDoc documentation for rails-2.2.2... Installing RDoc documentation for rails-2.3.4...

This appeared to do absolutely nothing to the contents of /usr/lib/ ruby/gems/1.8/doc/rails*

Any suggestions?

Just for kicks I installed ruby and rails via InstantRails on a Windows XP machine and it has the exact same problem - no local rails docs for either the version of rails that came with InstantRails 2.0 (2.0.2) or the upgraded version I installed with gem update rails (2.3.4).

Just for kicks I installed ruby and rails via InstantRails on a Windows XP machine and it has the exact same problem - no local rails docs for either the version of rails that came with InstantRails 2.0 (2.0.2) or the upgraded version I installed with gem update rails (2.3.4).