Rails CMS best fit

I already have a project with multiple subdomains under development ( Rails 3.2.8 , MySQL, Haml , Devise , Cancan )

www.myproject.com is the main site many subdomains will be created : sub1.myproject.com, sub2.myproject.com, sub3.myproject.com, ...

We need now to add CMS functionalities to the main domain and to each subdomain, ( different layouts , different sets of pages )

What could be currently the best CMS engine choice ? ( at least the most adapted to this goal..) Radiant , Alchemy Refinery or even Locomotive ( with this one, I know we should switch to Mongoid ORM, but why not ..) or any other one ...

thanks for feedback

Seems that Alchemy CMS engine mounted at subdomain level could do the job... it's a pure "content" management app... managing only content will test it

Kad Kerforn wrote in post #1080098:

I already have a project with multiple subdomains under development ( Rails 3.2.8 , MySQL, Haml , Devise , Cancan )

www.myproject.com is the main site many subdomains will be created : sub1.myproject.com, sub2.myproject.com, sub3.myproject.com, ...

We need now to add CMS functionalities to the main domain and to each subdomain, ( different layouts , different sets of pages )

What could be currently the best CMS engine choice ? ( at least the most adapted to this goal..) Radiant , Alchemy Refinery or even Locomotive ( with this one, I know we should switch to Mongoid ORM, but why not ..) or any other one ...

thanks for feedback

I've just started building a site with BrowserCMS. It's fairly well featured, and allows for easy integration of outside controllers and models. Documentation is good - not great - however the developers are really responsive in the google group. here is the project: GitHub - browsermedia/browsercms: BrowserCMS: Humane Content Management for Rails One thing about browserCMS is that it uses it's own authentication methods so you might have issues using Devise.

I also tried locomotive but i found it lacking in features and documentation. Also the switch to mongoid has a learning curve to it if you're not already familiar. Locomotive has potential, but it is still early in development. Locomotive · GitHub

Thanks for your feedback..

I also looked into Locomotive, good ( I know Mongoid) but the project needs MySQL... After looking at other existing Rails CMS : Alchemy, Radiant, Refinery, Comfortable Mexican Sofa ( C.M.S. !) and also browserCMS, my feeling is that none of them are actually true good engines for our project .. rather than describing what I mean by that , better giving an example of a good one : "forem" ( https://github.com/radar/forem )

'forem' brings a complete forum app as an engine to our existing rails web apps: - can be mounted at root or subdomain level, - reuse our Devise authentication module, forem initialize with the declared 'user' class, and 'current_user' helper - forem internal authorization is based on CanCan, and permissions can be superseded within the declared 'user' class

said that, we are currently looking into Alchemy code ( good 'content' management ) to see how we could adapt it (to the 'forem' way) regarding authentication and authorization ( I know that the new Refinery aims at using authentication/authorization engines.... but Refinery cannot be mounted at subdomain level which is mandatory in our project

thanks again

Hi Oleg , I am working on it right now ... I like it being Rails- minded, so easier to hack , I also like it because it doesn't have any concept of users...

I ma trying to move the 'cms-admin' module into my backoffice as a

been cut off.. I am trying to move the 'cms-admin' part into my backoffice as a lib module and using the cms-content for site rendering... I have an issue using the Cms::Site model , it works at app level ( getting Cms::Site.all = in the console but when called from the backoffice named space, : LoadError (Expected /Users/..../app/models/cms/site.rb to define Site):

see my post https://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/80b8f8033e6b1474?hl=fr

Something is not loading right. When rails loads models it assumes that the folder that is nesting them is a namespace. So /app/models/foo/bar can define Foo::Bar If you're manually moving things around try making model look like this:

module Cms    class Site

instead of current

class Cms::Site

Thanks.. I'll test it in parallel I am also testing the standard 'cms-admin' ( adapting my backoffice admin to cms-admin) vs including the cms-admin module into my backoffice, as my current concern is to stick to my backoffice design ( layout/css) being used for additional features

Functionality wise, I've had really easy time integrating these CMS libraries.

https://www.filepicker.io/products/libraries/

Let's you grab content through urls.

My issue seems to be related to Rails railties : action_controller/metal/params_wrapper.rb#_default_wrap_model

quoted :

Determine the wrapper model from the controller’s name. By convention,

this could be done by trying to find the defined model that has the

same singularize name as the controller. For example, +UsersController+

will try to find if the +User+ model exists.

[SOLVED] I guess…

It seems I had a wrong route in my cms_admin namespace

namespace :cms_admin, :except => :show do

match ‘/’, to: ‘base#jump’

resources :sites do

is the correct one…

but I tried to bypass the base controller and I wrote

namespace :cms_admin, :except => :show do

match ‘/’, to: ‘sites#index’

resources :sites do

this raised the error : asking for Site being defined …