Rails 4 and HABTM Checkboxes: Unpermitted parameters error

I have a simple Rails 4 project with two scaffolded models: Practice and Practitioner. I have set these both as habtm and am in the process of adding checkboxes to the Practitioner form so that I can check off the practices that this practitioner belongs to. In the practitioners_controller, I added practice_ids to the practitioner_params permit list, but I am still getting the error:

Started PATCH "/practitioners/1" for 127.0.0.1 at 2013-10-23 16:35:34 -0400 Processing by PractitionersController#update as HTML   Parameters: {"utf8"=>"✓", "authenticity_token"=>"u9XWBVshMKmLg+YhVFWu10PTQu+uvAbbvBck4QQG6wk=", "practitioner"=>{"first_name"=>"Christine", "last_name"=>"Campbell", "degree"=>"CRNP", "accepting_new_patients"=>"1", "specialty"=>"Obstetrics & Gynecology", "secondary_specialty"=>"", "c_v"=>"Undergraduate Education: 1988\r\nGraduate School Education: 1995\r\nAffiliations: Pottstown Memorial Hospital", "practice_ids"=>[nil, "1"]}, "commit"=>"Update Practitioner", "id"=>"1"}   Practitioner Load (0.2ms) SELECT "practitioners".* FROM "practitioners" WHERE "practitioners"."id" = ? ORDER BY "practitioners".last_name ASC, "practitioners".first_name ASC LIMIT 1 [["id", "1"]] Unpermitted parameters: practice_ids

when I try to update. If I comment out the practitioner_params method, like this:

def practitioner_params       params.require(:practitioner).permit!#(:first_name, :last_name, :degree, :accepting_new_patients, :specialty, :secondary_specialty, :c_v, :practice_ids)     end

then the form works correctly (so it's not an HTML issue or anything basic like that) -- I am able to set and unset the practice ids.

Can anyone suggest how I can keep the strong_parameters from Rails 4 but use habtm like this?

Thanks,

Walter

Documenting this for posterity...

I have a simple Rails 4 project with two scaffolded models: Practice and Practitioner. I have set these both as habtm and am in the process of adding checkboxes to the Practitioner form so that I can check off the practices that this practitioner belongs to. In the practitioners_controller, I added practice_ids to the practitioner_params permit list, but I am still getting the error:

Started PATCH "/practitioners/1" for 127.0.0.1 at 2013-10-23 16:35:34 -0400 Processing by PractitionersController#update as HTML Parameters: {"utf8"=>"✓", "authenticity_token"=>"u9XWBVshMKmLg+YhVFWu10PTQu+uvAbbvBck4QQG6wk=", "practitioner"=>{"first_name"=>"Christine", "last_name"=>"Campbell", "degree"=>"CRNP", "accepting_new_patients"=>"1", "specialty"=>"Obstetrics & Gynecology", "secondary_specialty"=>"", "c_v"=>"Undergraduate Education: 1988\r\nGraduate School Education: 1995\r\nAffiliations: Pottstown Memorial Hospital", "practice_ids"=>[nil, "1"]}, "commit"=>"Update Practitioner", "id"=>"1"} Practitioner Load (0.2ms) SELECT "practitioners".* FROM "practitioners" WHERE "practitioners"."id" = ? ORDER BY "practitioners".last_name ASC, "practitioners".first_name ASC LIMIT 1 [["id", "1"]] Unpermitted parameters: practice_ids

when I try to update. If I comment out the practitioner_params method, like this:

def practitioner_params      params.require(:practitioner).permit!#(:first_name, :last_name, :degree, :accepting_new_patients, :specialty, :secondary_specialty, :c_v, :practice_ids)    end

then the form works correctly (so it's not an HTML issue or anything basic like that) -- I am able to set and unset the practice ids.

Can anyone suggest how I can keep the strong_parameters from Rails 4 but use habtm like this?

When declaring an array-shaped value in the strong parameters method, you must hint at its format, like this

:practice_ids =>

Once that's done, the whole thing Just Works™.

Can anyone point me to a definitive guide to the new strong parameters? I didn't see it in the Rails Guides anywhere.

Walter

Hard to say about "definitive", but this is my go-to:

I haven't delved into any of the updated texts for Rails 4 yet except the Rails 4 In Action pre-publication version, and that still needs to be updated for strong parameters. Soon, I hope.

Can anyone point me to a definitive guide to the new strong parameters? I didn't see it in the Rails Guides anywhere.

Hard to say about "definitive", but this is my go-to:

Action Controller Overview — Ruby on Rails Guides

I haven't delved into any of the updated texts for Rails 4 yet except the Rails 4 In Action pre-publication version, and that still needs to be updated for strong parameters. Soon, I hope.

Thanks so much!

Walter