rails 3 release date

When is the stable version of rails 3 being released?

No one knows? I'm afraid of running on edge.. :-\

David Zhu wrote:

No one knows? I'm afraid of running on edge.. :-\

I am aware of no announcement. There is a bug mash for Rails 3 on the 15 & 16 of May so I'd guess not before then.

In short, it will be released when the Rails core team feel that it’s ready. Please remember

that this is an open-source project. Thus, I would recommend installing Rails 3 in order to

assist in testing and reporting bugs.

-Conrad

Please remember that this is an open-source project. Thus, I would recommend installing Rails 3 in order to assist in testing and reporting bugs.

Sorry I'm too noobie to even notice a bug :stuck_out_tongue:

The reason i asked for a release date was because I know that ActionMailer changes in Rails 3

And so once I have the code for the mailer written out in Rails 2.3.5, and then i update, I'm guessing that ill have to change the code? ugh....

David Zhu wrote:

The reason i asked for a release date was because I know that ActionMailer changes in Rails 3

And so once I have the code for the mailer written out in Rails 2.3.5, and then i update, I'm guessing that ill have to change the code?

That's called "refactoring" and that should be part of your normal development cycle anyway. So I just don't see the big deal about it.

Robert Walker wrote:

David Zhu wrote:

And so once I have the code for the mailer written out in Rails 2.3.5, and then i update, I'm guessing that ill have to change the code?

That's called "refactoring" and that should be part of your normal development cycle anyway. So I just don't see the big deal about it.

I don't know that I'd consider this to be refactoring: it's a forced rewrite due to major changes in framework code.

Best,

Humm… You don’t have to upgrade your rails version on your product environment immediately rails 3 released. That means you can schedule your own upgrade plan by your own. So, take your time, and enjoy rails 3 :slight_smile:

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

I don't know that I'd consider this to be refactoring: it's a forced rewrite due to major changes in framework code.

Yes, I know I was just being a smart ass.. :slight_smile:

However, there will probably be more significant changes needed than mailer code. So the concern about it is probably insignificant.

I read DHH said it should be released by August, can't find the link right now.

If start a new project in rails 3 beta now, and update to the stable in the future when its released, i wouldn't have to make many changes to my rails project right?

So if you had to start a new project now, would you choose the beta, or the current stable?

If start a new project in rails 3 beta now, and update to the stable in the future when its released, i wouldn't have to make many changes to my rails project right?

You shouldn't have to make many changes at all going from Rails 3 beta 4 to Rails 3 final.

So if you had to start a new project now, would you choose the beta, or the current stable?

What are your current system requirements as well as your plugin/gem dependencies? If you know this information, then you should be able to make an informed decision as to whether to use Rails 3 or Rails 2.

Good luck,

-Conrad