Rails 3 RC

What happened to the release???

+1 for any answer...

Real soon now. Pending a Bundler release candidate.

jeremy

Probably too busy racing cars or posing for Men's Book :stuck_out_tongue:

Let them work, they also have lives. C'mon guys.

Rails is not entirely a volunteer effort; my understanding is that at least some of the core team (such as DHH) are paid by 37signals for the specific purpose of working on Rails (am I wrong about this?). That being the case, "they also have lives" is a lame excuse.

Besides, even if it were a volunteer effort, it's a major project. When a blog post comes out on 2 June promising a release in a couple of days, and it's now 24 July, I don't think it's inappropriate to get impatient for a release or an explanation of the delay. Heck, if they asked for help, they might get some, but this silence is bad if the core team want to keep their credibility. Why should I trust a core team that can't get its act together to take 2 minutes to write a blog post explaining why the release was delayed?

Well, it might be just me -- I'm excited about Rails 3, but I don't really need it right now. To be honest, I haven't even been following closely, didn't even know about the release dates, so maybe my judgement was too subjective. We probably won't get any solid answers from this mailing list, as I rarely see core-members around.

Best,

Marcelo.

This should help clear things up: http://bit.ly/diXfGx

But really. Real soon now.

jeremy

Jeremy Kemper wrote:

and it's now 24 July, I don't think it's inappropriate to get impatient for a release or an explanation of the delay. �Heck, if they asked for help, they might get some, but this silence is bad if the core team want to keep their credibility. �Why should I trust a core team that can't get its act together to take 2 minutes to write a blog post explaining why the release was delayed?

Oh, that was classy from a member of the core team. Not.

That attitude could get me (and probably a lot of others) to quit using Rails. And I'm a Rabid Rails Fanboy [TM].

But really. Real soon now.

jeremy

Best,

An attitude of entitlement just rubs everyone wrong and doesn't move the project forward. Your annoyance is understandable but, alone, it is not constructive.

Ultimately, your message is spot-on. It has been a while and many are on pins and needles waiting for a non-beta gem to munch on. Real soon now.

We, too, are pretty annoyed that the release candidate has dragged on, but we want a candidate we'd feel comfortable deploying to production with our own apps. Thankfully, we've had tons of people testing the betas and bringing the polish up to release quality. That means a short RC cycle.

Check out http://github.com/rails/rails/compare/v3.0.0.beta4...master for a sense of the work that has been going into this. This release is going to rock.

jeremy

Lol. Thanks, I needed that!

Get over it. No one wants to hear your bitching and moaning.

That attitude could get me (and probably a lot of others) to quit using Rails. And I'm a Rabid Rails Fanboy [TM].

So quit. No one is holding a gun to your head. I'm sure Rasmus and the Zend team would love to have you.

Jeremy Kemper wrote:

An attitude of entitlement just rubs everyone wrong and doesn't move the project forward.

What attitude of entitlement? I don't think I have one here. What I *do* have, however, is an expectation that once a release estimate is made, either a release or a revised estimate should follow, not 6 weeks of silence. Is that unreasonable?

Your annoyance is understandable but, alone, it is not constructive.

Neither is your silence. And your insults certainly aren't. Your latest message is, for which I thank you.

Ultimately, your message is spot-on. It has been a while and many are on pins and needles waiting for a non-beta gem to munch on. Real soon now.

I'm not so much impatient waiting for a release. Rather, I just think better communication would be helpful. I'm already sold on Rails -- I really, really love it. However, if I were sitting on the fence right now -- say, switching from PHP or Java, and evaluating Ruby, Rails, Sinatra, Python, Django, $RAILS_COMPETITOR... -- I'd think twice about adopting a technology that has this sort of support from its core team.

In other words, I don't fundamentally care that much whether Rails 3 is released in August or December. I just think that whatever is decided, it should be better communicated.

We, too, are pretty annoyed that the release candidate has dragged on, but we want a candidate we'd feel comfortable deploying to production with our own apps.

I appreciate that. Again, the time is not the problem. The lack of communication is.

Thankfully, we've had tons of people testing the betas and bringing the polish up to release quality. That means a short RC cycle.

Check out http://github.com/rails/rails/compare/v3.0.0.beta4...master for a sense of the work that has been going into this. This release is going to rock.

Who cares how much it rocks if it never sees the light of day?

jeremy

Best,

Who cares how much it rocks if it never sees the light of day?

I totally sold a client on Rails 3 for a major project 2 months ago, on the assumption its release was as immanent as promised, and (Go Figure!) I heard the very same concern from that client about their project just yesterday.

I was looking at Padrino recently and rather like it. It’s a young framework, nowhere near as mature, but has an interesting architectural “value prop”… and at least so far I haven’t gotten any STFUs from the development team. :slight_smile:

• Bob

Real soon now.

This kind of answer is from whimps, not from successful business men. We want an accurate date i.e: 25th of July 2010 12am? Sooner? Later?

At least keep us informed of what's going on! RC is gonna be delayed? Not a big deal if you warn us about such delays.

An no, switching is not that easy, having to learn a new language, a new framework, idioms, porting code, etc takes a lot of time.

37signals publishes books and articles on how to be a better coder, be successful, haha, you don't seem to follow the principles you teach!

Rails is Rails because of the attitude behind it. It is opinionated, not only the software, but the process behind it, too. Do we complain when Blizzard says a new title will be done 'when it's done'? I would not promise anything to my clients based on unreleased software, by the way! We already have a track of releases for Rails, so I'm sure it won't be a Rails Nuke'em forever. Just enjoy life and be more patient.

An no, switching is not that easy, having to learn a new language,

Rails release dates are in no way keeping you from learning Ruby or Rails 2. Stop whining.

a new framework, idioms, porting code, etc takes a lot of time.

Like I told the last guy, no one is holding a gun to your head. Go play with PHP or ASP if the Rails release dates don't suite you. You won't be missed, I promise.

Ken Foust wrote:

What happened to the release???

well i like it and it is working

that is the important part. I will probably have a year at least on rail 3 before rails 4 so i am happy jumping in at the leading edge

I just need a complex tutorial like a mini ebay

Release dates? There is no release date!

I'm well aware of this fact. This thread is full of cry-babies who seem to think there is a release date, or that one has passed already.

And why are you talking about learning ruby and rails2? We are talking about rails3 here! Did you post to the wrong thread?

No. There is nothing wrong with learning Rails 2 if you don't currently know Rails at all.

Ever heard about barriers to exit at college? Paid professional work requires more than just "playing" with a new language like you suggest.

I work in genetics research at a medical university. I am presently writing a Rails 3 application using Ruby 1.9.2-preview3. I am not playing with anything but your girlfriend.

Okay now go play with your chromosomes while we talk about customers falling on our back, and development being held back.

Again, no one is stopping you from creating a Rails3 app. There is a set of beta4 gems that are working fine for me and my colleagues. I have found no real show-stoppers.

Is the no release dates a habit in the ruby/rails ecosystem?

It doesn't matter. We have Rails2 and it works great. We have Rails3 beta4 and it works well enough to begin doing development. At some point the 3.0 will arrive, but it's no big deal if it's not today.

Because the developer of TextMate fell into this trap and now he suffers from it. Even Debian is moving away from that paradigm!

Who cares? If you are unhappy with Rails then use something else. They don't care about your "business schedule" or whatever, and no one here wants to hear you complain.

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

Let them work, they also have lives. C'mon guys.

Rails is not entirely a volunteer effort; my understanding is that at least some of the core team (such as DHH) are paid by 37signals for the specific purpose of working on Rails (am I wrong about this?). That being the case, "they also have lives" is a lame excuse.

Besides, even if it were a volunteer effort, it's a major project. When a blog post comes out on 2 June promising a release in a couple of days, and it's now 24 July, I don't think it's inappropriate to get impatient for a release or an explanation of the delay. Heck, if they asked for help, they might get some, but this silence is bad if the core team want to keep their credibility. Why should I trust a core team that can't get its act together to take 2 minutes to write a blog post explaining why the release was delayed?

To paraphrase:

What am I paying you guys for? I demand *my* money's worth!