rails 3 on debian

Rails 3 requires bundler to be installed, but bundler can't be installed on Debian lenny because the gem version 1.2 is too old, an attempt update is also failed, any idea?

# gem update --system ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)     gem update --system is disabled on Debian. RubyGems can be updated using the official Debian repositories by aptitude or apt-get.

Several:

1) don't use Debian 2) don't rely on *any* brain-dead, perpetually out-of-date package     management system 3) remove anything ruby/rails-related from your system and install     fresh from source

At least, that's what I would do... :slight_smile:

1) don't use Debian 2) don't rely on *any* brain-dead, perpetually out-of-date package     management system 3) remove anything ruby/rails-related from your system and install     fresh from source

At least, that's what I would do... :slight_smile:

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com twitter: @hassan

Yes, Rubygems must be installed from source. Depending on your tastes, Ruby can also be installed from source.

Disregard 1 & 2 as they are just trolls.

Au contraire - I see so many cases of people struggling with problems directly caused by "the Debian way" of packaging 3rd-party software (not just Ruby-related).

The OP's problem is exactly that; pointing it out is hardly a "troll".

Yes, Rubygems must be installed from source. Depending on your tastes, Ruby can also be installed from source.

Disregard 1 & 2 as they are just trolls.

what about ubuntu Linux, does it also provide out dated rails related resources?

Hassan, so you deploy your applications on a macbook pro, do you?

Nine out of ten apps are deployed onto a Linux machine; the majority of those are Ubuntu(Of course, Debian based). That means you need to figure out how to make rubygems work nicely there. You can install rubygems from source, or you can install upgrade_rubygems which essentially does the same thing. Both of these circumvent the package management system; not a good idea.

The correct way to do it is to use backports. For Debian you can get to rubygems 1.3.4 by using this backport:

http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/rubygems1.8 (1.9 is also available)

Instructions on how to do it:

http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions

Foing outside the package management system is almost always a bad move. As soon as you do that it is much more difficult to backup and replicate that machine.

Hope this helps

-Jeremy

Hassan, so you deploy your applications on a macbook pro, do you?

No, I develop primarily on a Mac, but I deploy (mostly) to Linux. No Ubuntu, though :slight_smile:

Both of these circumvent the package management system; not a good idea.

Foing outside the package management system is almost always a bad move. As soon as you do that it is much more difficult to backup and replicate that machine.

Well, that's where we disagree; I don't use the package management system for anything specific to my application. I certainly don't need someone else determining that I should run some down-level hacked up version of the software I want.

And I see no reason that implies any problems with either backup or replication of a system. At least, that hasn't been my experience.

YMMV!