Version Hell

Version hell...I have the latest version of gems installed and gems -v proves this, but somewhere an old copy is hanging about - how do I get rid of this old version? This is driving me nuts!

I seem to be getting conflicted installations of gems:

For example

$ ruby script/generate model product Rails requires RubyGems >= 1.3.2 (you have 1.2.0). Please `gem update --system` and try again.

brett@ubuntu:~/RoR/Apps/OpenBenefit/depot$ gem update --system ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)     gem update --system is disabled on Debian. RubyGems can be updated using the official Debian repositories by aptitude or apt-get.

brett@ubuntu:~/RoR/Apps/OpenBenefit/depot$ gem -v 1.3.5

The weird thing is gem -v showing 1.3.5 However, you can try this on a Debian(-like) environment: sudo gem install rubygems-update #( 1.3.7 should be the latest version) sudo update_rubygems #if this doesn't work, try finding the right executable file in your gems path.

That would update your rubygems version.

Hope it helps.

You installed Rubygems using apt-get which is... a very bad idea! You should NEVER do this :D. Just install rubygems using the source.

Nicolas Blanco

http://twitter.com/slainer68

Dis Tec wrote:

Did you install anything by mistake in ~/.gem ?

Fernando Perez wrote:

Did you install anything by mistake in ~/.gem ?

yep - that is all deleted now.

Thanks - I have now update the version.That seems to have done the trick!

Thanks!

Leonardo Mateo wrote:

Now need to get MySQL installed. I am having the following trouble installing

sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config=/usr/bin/mysql_config

ERROR: Error installing mysql:   ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb --with-mysql-config=/usr/bin/mysql_config extconf.rb:10:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)   from extconf.rb:10

Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1 for inspection. Results logged to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1/ext/mysql_api/gem_make.out

Any ideas?

Dis Tec wrote:

mysql_config exists and mysql is up and running! No idea why this sometimes works and sometimes breaks. Before I managed this fine. Now its not working and I cannot re-install the mysql gems!

it's saying that you're missing mkmf, which is part of the ruby standard library. Looks like this is part of the ruby-dev package on debian/ubuntu machines.

Fred