Rails 2.0 and current_user

Hello,

I am setting up a Rails 2.0 project where i am using acts_as_authenticated as my user 'manager'. I am trying to use the scope_out plugin to group users into a Account. In order for that to work i need to use the current_user inside the User Model. The most obvious approach would be to use the example below and set the current user inside the application controller. However this is just not working. My current_user accessor stays empty inside the User model. Is this because i am running in development mode or is this a known Rails 2.0 issue. Do you guys know any alternatives.

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base     before_filter do |c|           User.current_user = User.find(c.session[:user].id) unless c.session[:user].nil?     end end

class User < ActiveRecord::Base     cattr_accessor :current_user end

http://agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins/scope_out

Thanx in advance

Hello,

I am setting up a Rails 2.0 project where i am using acts_as_authenticated as my user 'manager'. I am trying to use the scope_out plugin to group users into a Account. In order for that to work i need to use the current_user inside the User Model. The most obvious approach would be to use the example below and set the current user inside the application controller. However this is just not working. My current_user accessor stays empty inside the User model.
Is this because i am running in development mode or is this a known Rails 2.0 issue. Do you guys know any alternatives.

Isn't the thing in the session normally :user_id ?

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

This is one of these cases where I'd just advise not to use the
scope_out plugin. I don't know what you're trying to do, but it feels
wrong when your User model needs data from the session to function.

Regards, Jan

Seems like things could be better structured. Since you're using acts_as_authenticated you could:

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base   include AuthenticatedSystem

before_filter :login_required, :set_current_user

protect   def set_current_user     User.current_user = self.current_user   end end

I disagree slightly with Jan. Jan is right that this application seems to be too tightly coupled to the Controller. scope_out, however, still may be appropriate to your needs... but your application of it does seem off.