Model -> with_scope -> session access?

Hello,

I try to override the default find method for some of my models:

I want it to find only the users, which belong to a specific customer. Therefore I set an application-wide instance variable before rendering anything else:

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base   before_filter :cid, :uid

def cid     @cid ||= session[:customer_id] if logged_in?   end end

My model should do the following (but it doesnt work this way):

class User < ActiveRecord::Base   with_scope :find, :conditions => {:customer_id = cid}

.... end

I know that accessing the session in models isn't beatifull - so I tied via the application-method... Can somebody help me?

Thanks a lot! Best regards lp

Can somebody help me?

Got named scopes?

Yeah, but this ins't working either... When i try with:

class User < ActiveRecord::Base   with_scope :owning, :conditions => {:customer_id = cid}

.... end

the following error occurs:

.. ... ** Starting Rails with development environment... Exiting /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/ base.rb:1667:in `method_missing_without_paginate': undefined local variable or method `cid' for #<Class:0x23ae54c> (NameError)

Or do I missunderstand you? (sorry, my english is very bad)

Sorry,

if you meant

class User < ActiveRecord::Base   NAMED_scope :owning, :conditions => {:customer_id = cid}

.... end

this is producing the same error like above...

Heeeelp :frowning: Or are there any other solutions (no I don't want to pass the id everytime... It's not very DRY i think...)?

Doesnt't have anyone an idea? Please help me, I think that other people are interessted in a solution too...

Lp wrote:

Doesnt't have anyone an idea?

There may be no advanced solution. The simple solution might be to pass cid as an argument to a method on a model:

class User < ActiveRecord::Base     def find_owners(cid)       find(:all, :conditions => {:customer_id => cid})     end    ....   end

From there, what more do you need?

Yeah, that's propably a solution (and the solution I'm currently using) - but that's not very DRY...

I have about 6 models and 40 actions... and in every action I do something similar because of the rights/access-management:

Model.find(xyz, :condition => {:customer_id => session[:customer_id]}

I don't think it's very DRY...? I can't imagin that there isn't a solution for it - that's a common problem in my opinion?

Maybe I’m oversimplifying, but the general approach for scoping is

user has_many :customers

Things are scoped already via your associations. No need to use with_scope.

@user = current_user @customers = @user.customers

@user = User.find(params[:user_id[ @customers = @user.customers.find(:all, :conditions => [“last_contacted > ?”, 10.days.ago], :order => “last_name ASC”, :limit => 100

So… Would that work? A lot of this could be done dynamically too, through some basic metaprogramming.

Hey...

I haven't see the wood for the trees ^^

That's a quite good solution - I get everytime the current user in the application-controller and use it in every action..

THANKS!!