Rails 1.2: REST admiration, HTTP lovefest, and UTF-8 celebrations

Get out your party balloons and funny hats because we're there, baby. Yes, sire, Rails 1.2 is finally available in all it's glory. It took a little longer than we initially anticipated to get everything lined up (and even then we had a tiny snag that bumped us straight from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1 before this announcement even had time to be written).

So hopefully it's been worth the wait. Who am I kidding. Of course it's been worth the wait. We got the RESTful flavor with new encouragement for resource-oriented architectures. We're taking mime types, HTTP status codes, and multiple representations of the same resource serious. And of course there's the international pizzazz of multibyte-safe UTF-8 wrangling.

That's just some of the headliner features. On top of that, there's an absolutely staggering amount of polish being dished out. The CHANGELOG for Action Pack alone contains some two hundred entries. Active Record has another 170-something on top of that.

All possible due to the amazing work of our wonderful and glorious community. People from all over the world doing their bit, however big or small, to increase the diameter of your smile. That's love, people.

See

for more.

That's just some of the headliner features. On top of that, there's an absolutely staggering amount of polish being dished out. The CHANGELOG for Action Pack alone contains some two hundred entries. Active Record has another 170-something on top of that.

All possible due to the amazing work of our wonderful and glorious community. People from all over the world doing their bit, however big or small, to increase the diameter of your smile. That's love, people.

Great!

Many thanks for Rails so far to all, and I'm off to get 1.2!

Wybo

Well done rails core - 1.2 is definately worth the wait.

I see a lot of people asking questions about REST so I put together a sample app to showcase a few of the basic principles like nested resources, etc. Hopefully this can help people get up to speed...

Code: http://svn.depixelate.com/applications/restful_product_tracker Blog post: http://depixelate.com/2007/1/19/restful-product-tracker

I just tried updating and this is that I get:

sudo gem update --include-dependencies Updating installed gems... Attempting remote update of actionmailer Successfully installed actionmailer-1.3.1 Successfully installed actionpack-1.13.1 Successfully installed activesupport-1.4.0 Installing ri documentation for actionmailer-1.3.1... Installing ri documentation for actionpack-1.13.1...

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1050:30: ':' not followed by identified or operator

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1054:39: ':' not followed by identified or operator Installing ri documentation for activesupport-1.4.0...

lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:52:16: Unrecognized directive 'nodoc' Installing RDoc documentation for actionmailer-1.3.1... Installing RDoc documentation for actionpack-1.13.1...

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1050:30: ':' not followed by identified or operator

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1054:39: ':' not followed by identified or operator Installing RDoc documentation for activesupport-1.4.0...

lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:52:16: Unrecognized directive 'nodoc' Attempting remote update of actionpack Successfully installed actionpack-1.13.1 Installing ri documentation for actionpack-1.13.1...

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1054:39: ':' not followed by identified or operator While generating documentation for actionpack-1.13.1 ... MESSAGE: Unhandled special: Special: type=17, text="SimpleXML" ... RDOC args: --ri --op /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc/actionpack-1.13.1/ri --quiet lib (continuing with the rest of the installation) Installing RDoc documentation for actionpack-1.13.1...

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1054:39: ':' not followed by identified or operator Attempting remote update of actionwebservice Successfully installed actionwebservice-1.2.1 Successfully installed activerecord-1.15.1 Installing ri documentation for actionwebservice-1.2.1... While generating documentation for actionwebservice-1.2.1 ... MESSAGE: Unhandled special: Special: type=17, text="Action" ... RDOC args: --ri --op /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc/actionwebservice-1.2.1/ri --quiet lib (continuing with the rest of the installation)

Any ideas?

Compiled this list; http://leethal.stikipad.com/rails/show/1.2.1+Deprecations

Please update =D