Prototype Form.Event

So, I have a remote form that, upon submission, displays a result and itself again. I'd like, though, for it to clear the text field and set the focus there when it redisplays. I've been able to get it to focus the form properly, by setting :complete => "$ ('phone_number').focus()". But, I've not been able to get it to focus AND clear the fields. I've tried:

$('phone_number').focus();$('phone_number')..clear(); $('phone_number').focus().clear; $('phone_number').activate();

All with no luck. Any suggestions?

I've included a more complete snippet below...

<% form_remote_tag :url => {:controller => 'phones',                             :action => 'create'},                    :update => 'phones',                    :complete => "$('phone_number').focus();" do %>   <%= text_field 'phone', 'number', {:size => 12, :value => (@phone.number unless @phone.nil?).to_s} %>   <%= submit_tag "Add Phone" %> <% end %>

the dom id is, in fact, phone_number. it's generating id="phone_number" name="phone[number]". i don't have firebug, but i do have the developer toolbar, and it shows absolutely nothing.

OK; turns out it wasn't a Javascript error at all. My view was filling in the default value, when it shouldn't have been.

The Firebug suggestion really helped out, though, as its HTML inspector made it way more obvious than just viewing source in firefox.

Thanks!