prompt in select_tag

How can I use select_tag to

1. Have a prompt like "Select a Value" ( selected by default )

I tried this but did not work:

<%= select_tag :current_course,                  options_for_select( Course.find(:all).map {|p| [p.title,p.id]} ),                                  { :prompt => "Select a Value" }     %>

2. Generate a 'selected' event so that some action can be done like submit the form or refresh the page?

Thanks in advance - AJ

Abhishek Jain wrote:

1. Have a prompt like "Select a Value" ( selected by default ) I tried this but did not work:         <%= select_tag :current_course,                  options_for_select( Course.find(:all).map {|p| [p.title,p.id]} ),                                  { :prompt => "Select a Value" }     %>

I do the find in the controller and feed the options_for_select two instance variables: the options collection and the selected value. e.g. select_tag(:priority, options_for_select(@courses, @selected_course)) @courses is just an array so you just put your "Select a Value" as the first entry. e.g., @courses = [["Select a Value", "Select a Value"]] Then push the results of the find onto @courses.

> 2. Generate a 'selected' event so that some action can be done like

submit the form or refresh the page?

If I understand your question, you'll want to use observe_field on the select_tag. It will fire an Ajax call back to the server when the value in the select changes.

HTH, Bill

Bill Walton wrote:

Abhishek Jain wrote:

1. Have a prompt like "Select a Value" ( selected by default ) I tried this but did not work:         <%= select_tag :current_course,                  options_for_select( Course.find(:all).map {|p| [p.title,p.id]} ),                                  { :prompt => "Select a Value" }     %>

I do the find in the controller and feed the options_for_select two instance variables: the options collection and the selected value. e.g. select_tag(:priority, options_for_select(@courses, @selected_course)) @courses is just an array so you just put your "Select a Value" as the first entry. e.g., @courses = [["Select a Value", "Select a Value"]] Then push the results of the find onto @courses.

> 2. Generate a 'selected' event so that some action can be done like

submit the form or refresh the page?

If I understand your question, you'll want to use observe_field on the select_tag. It will fire an Ajax call back to the server when the value in the select changes.

HTH, Bill

Hey Bill

Thanks for the help. I could get the "prompt" in my selection list. I havent tried observe_field yet but will give that a shot. Thanks again - AJ