problems w/ partials and yield

Hello,     I love the concept of using <%=yield %> to automatically render content but there are times where I find it a bit restraining.

For instance, I would like to to use the exact same partial for these 2 methods:

list_roles and create

If I try to use render :partial => 'list_roles' in the create method, the only way I can get it to work is to create a _list_roles.html.erb template which seems like a bit of overkill.

The only difference that the create/list_roles template is going to have is one extra dynamic table row.

Is there anyway to increase the flexibility of the yield method?

Thanks, Clem

I’m confused by the juxtaposition of “I would like to use the exact same partial” and “The only difference is that …” But, plowing on ahead… my understanding of render :partial is that it looks in the view folder associated with the controller for the template. If #create and #list_roles are in the same folder, you should be able to create a _list_roles.html.erb template which is referenced by the views for both the #create and #list_roles actions (via render :partial => ‘list_roles’). The stuff that is identical between the two should go in the _list_roles.html.erb partial.

So, create.html.erb could look like this: <%= render :partial => “list_roles” %>

and list_roles.html.erb could look like this: <%= render :partial => “list_roles” %>

This is the extra line

I think I must be misunderstanding your question, since I feel like I just reiterated your original question.

Anyway, that’s my $.02.

–wpd

Clem Rock wrote:

Hello,     I love the concept of using <%=yield %> to automatically render content but there are times where I find it a bit restraining.

For instance, I would like to to use the exact same partial for these 2 methods:

list_roles and create

If I try to use render :partial => 'list_roles' in the create method, the only way I can get it to work is to create a _list_roles.html.erb template which seems like a bit of overkill.

The only difference that the create/list_roles template is going to have is one extra dynamic table row.

Is there anyway to increase the flexibility of the yield method?

Thanks, Clem

How about pulling the partial from a common directory?

For example: I have a site that uses a submenu specific to each controller. The layout calls "render :partial => 'submenu'" which gets the partial specific for each controller.

OTOH, the main menu is common to the entire site, so it lives in the "app/views/generic" directory. The layout calls "render :partial => 'generic/menu'" so no matter what controller it is called from, the same partial is used.

HTH

Matt

Are you familiar with content_for ?

<%= yield :list_roles -%>

<% content_for :list_roles, 'content here' -%>

or as a block

<% content_for :list_roles do %>   content here... <% end %>

Cheers, Robby

What I'm trying to accomplish is this. I have a simple layout called main.erb.html with a catch all <%=yield %> for content.

I keep running into the situation where so many actions' partials are so similar it seems ridiculous to keep re-creating one for every action. I would like to do something like this:

I have these actions:

create_users, update_users update_user_password

Instead of creating 3 partials, it would be nice to use 1 partial and just show certain fields like this:

%=if controller.action_name == 'create_users' %>   Show these fields <% end -%>

%=if controller.action_name == 'update password' %>   Show these fields <% end -%>

ect.

Robby Russell wrote:

I usually use the same partial for creating and editing, what you said is about right, I usually just do;

fields that are used for both creating and updating

% if @user.new_record? %>

%= submit_tag ‘Create’ %>

% else %>

%= submit_tag ‘Update’ %>

% end %>

and then throw in whatever else you need to like back buttons or whatever.

For updating the password, you can either just have the two password fields, which will update the passwords if a new one is set, or you can do another if @user.new_record? statement in the form and have it show the fields for creating a password or updating a password.

Hope this helps.

Thanks all for getting back to me on this with your help and suggestions and sorry for the long reply.

I believe the most logical approach would go along the the lines of Tyler's suggestion of handling the logic in the view as suggested below.

Thanks all - and I would say this is resolved.

Tyler Crocker wrote: