Problem with installation of Rails 3

Help me out guys....

While installing rails 3 i got the following message

:~$ sudo gem install rails --pre

Successfully installed rails-3.0.0.beta3 1 gem installed Installing ri documentation for rails-3.0.0.beta3... File not found: lib

My gem list

:~$ gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

abstract (1.0.0) actionmailer (3.0.0.beta3, 2.3.5) actionpack (3.0.0.beta3, 2.3.5) activemodel (3.0.0.beta3) activerecord (3.0.0.beta3, 2.3.5) activeresource (3.0.0.beta3, 2.3.5) activesupport (3.0.0.beta3, 2.3.5) arel (0.3.3, 0.2.pre) authlogic (2.1.3) builder (2.1.2) bundler (0.9.25) erubis (2.6.5) ffi (0.6.3) i18n (0.3.7) mail (2.2.1, 2.1.5.3) memcache-client (1.8.3, 1.7.8) mime-types (1.16) pg (0.9.0) polyglot (0.3.1) postgres (0.7.9.2008.01.28) rack (1.1.0, 1.0.1) rack-mount (0.6.3, 0.4.7, 0.4.0) rack-test (0.5.3) rails (3.0.0.beta3) rails3b (3.0.1) railties (3.0.0.beta3) rake (0.8.7) ruby-pg (0.7.9.2008.01.28) rubygems-update (1.3.7) SystemTimer (1.2) text-format (1.0.0) text-hyphen (1.0.0) thor (0.13.6) treetop (1.4.5) tzinfo (0.3.20)

Please Help me out....

Pretty sure that's just a documentation error. Looks like your Rails beta3 gem installed fine.

Jeff

Jeff Cohen wrote:

Pretty sure that's just a documentation error. Looks like your Rails beta3 gem installed fine.

Jeff

Thanx Jeff

I had one more problem. I dont want to use sqlite3 instead want to use Postgresql...

Do u have any idea of how to do it..

I think I installed all the required gems

I want to modify the database.yml file which I did but even cant get the things done!!

Someone or other please help me out in this as well

Siva

Jeff Cohen wrote:

Pretty sure that’s just a documentation error. Looks like your Rails

beta3 gem installed fine.

Jeff

Thanx Jeff

I had one more problem. I dont want to use sqlite3 instead want to use

Postgresql…

Do u have any idea of how to do it…

I want to modify the database.yml file which I did but even cant get the

things done!!

Someone or other please help me out in this as well

Siva

Siva, you’ll need to following these steps:

a) Install the PostgreSQL database engine

b) gem install pg

c) Update the Gemfile

gem “pg”

Good luck,

-Conrad

I had one more problem. I dont want to use sqlite3 instead want to use Postgresql...

Do u have any idea of how to do it..

I want to modify the database.yml file which I did but even cant get the things done!!

If you have already generated the app, you need a section like this in your database.yml:

development:    adapter: postgresql    host: localhost # or your server name    database: my_app_development    username: me    password: password

and similarly change the test and production sections too.

Once you've done that, you can use rake db:create to automatically create your local postgres database which I think is pretty cool.

In the future, when you create a new Rails app, you can use the -d option to specify postgresql, which will generate the database.yml for you from the beginnning.

Jeff

purpleworkshops.com

Jeff Cohen wrote: database.yml:

development:    adapter: postgresql    host: localhost # or your server name    database: my_app_development    username: me    password: password

and similarly change the test and production sections too.

Once you've done that, you can use rake db:create to automatically create your local postgres database which I think is pretty cool.

In the future, when you create a new Rails app, you can use the -d option to specify postgresql, which will generate the database.yml for you from the beginnning.

Jeff

purpleworkshops.com

Once again thank you jeff

I was able to change the database.yml file...but I dint understand what to change on test and production sections(I was a new guy for ROR)

I was able to create a new db too.

Thanks jeff again, this info helped me alot....

Could u please tell me what to update on those two files

Best Wishes Siva