I've always distrusted the ruby and rails installs on my Mac (oOS X
10.6.3) -- sudo gem cleanup can't seem to get rid of old gem versions
(lots of Gem::InstallError: cannot uninstall).
Because of that, I don't trust the rails beta3 install I just
completed. Here's the story:
* config is Apple's ruby 1.8.7 and gem 1.3.6.
* xcode is installed from Apple's developer site.
* gem env result is:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.6
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.7 (2009-06-08 patchlevel 173) [universal-
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/bin
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- GEM PATHS:
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :benchmark => false
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
I have done these commands:
sudo gem update --system
sudo gem cleanup
sudo gem install tzinfo builder i18n memcache-client rack \
rake rack-test rack-mount erubis mail text-format \
sodu gem install rails --pre
whose execution ends with:
Installing ri documentation for rails-3.0.0.beta3...
File not found: lib
The gems/rails-3.0.0.beta3 directory has a bin directory with a 20
character file named "rails." The other gem directories seem fuller.
That, combined with the failure of gem cleanup, makes me think "this
can't be right."
I'd appreciate any advice how I might clean up my Mac rails
PS: I have so far avoided MacPorts.