problem with images/stylesheets between windows and unix

Hi,

I’m finding my image and stylesheets are resolving fine on windows/webbrick, but not on unix (Dreamhost). I can’t navigate to them on dreamhost and I get a “File not Found - Change this error message for pages not found in public/404.html”

One difference is that on dreamhost (fastcgi) I do use Capistrano so my rails application is under /current/, but I have mapped this in the dreamhost domain setup tool.

Can anyone spot if something is wrong in my .htaccess file below? Is the idea that static files (e.g. images/stylesheets) are supposed to be covered off in .htaccess with no entries required for them in routes.rb?

Your domain points to your public/ directory right? I'm sure it does but just to check...

I don't think I use the rewrite rules at all, maybe that slows it down a bit as static requests do go through rails. But here is the complete .htaccess which resides in the public/ directory( I haven't mastered Apache config so I've barely touched this file ):

AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi Options +FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI

RewriteEngine On RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^$ index.html [QSA] RewriteRule ^([^.]+)$ $1.html [QSA] RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteRule ^(.*)$ dispatch.fcgi [QSA,L]

ErrorDocument 500 "<h2>Application error</h2>Rails application failed to start properly"

Greg Hauptmann wrote:

My domain does point to current/public yep…actually I am getting a routing error (recognition railed) when navigating directly to a stylesheet so this probably indicates I guess that the rewrite rules aren’t working.

(a) Can anyone spot an issue with the .htaccess file below, and in particular the following portion of it? RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/stylesheets.* RewriteRule .* - [L]

(b) If I update .htaccess is there anything I need to do to make it take effect? (again I’m on Dreamhost [fastcgi])

Tks

PS. Sorry, can I add question c too below (refer previous post re (a) and (b) questiosn):

(c) Given that my direct request for one of the image files is making it to rails (as I get a ActionController::RoutingError (Recognition failed for “/images/arrow_right.gif”), and that this request works fine locally on webbrick but not at dreamhost (e.g. http:///images/arrow_right.gif) then:

• should it be the case that the rails routes.rb and the routing method should match up a direct request without having the need for an entry in routes.rb to cover this. That is should I need to put something into routes.rb to cover off the ability to pick up static type files from /public?

• any other ideas here?