problem using mysql 5.1 with RoR 3.1

I am newbie, and setup RoR 3.1 on Ubuntu 11.04. I followed everything on this blog, and the initial site came up fine on sqlite3:

Switching to mysql and running the rails server (rails s) displays this issue: ActiveRecord::ConnectionNotEstablished (ActiveRecord::ConnectionNotEstablished):

I am pretty sure the database.yml is correct (shown later), that the database exists, and the user nara (myself) can access the database using the mysql client. I have tried rebooting my machine, but that does not help.

Any ideas? Nara

development:   adapter: mysql2   encoding: utf8   reconnect: false   database: mblogdev   pool: 5   username: nara   password: <right-password>   socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

# Warning: The database defined as "test" will be erased and # re-generated from your development database when you run "rake". # Do not set this db to the same as development or production. test:   adapter: mysql2   encoding: utf8   reconnect: false   database: mblogtest   pool: 5   username: nara   password: <right-password>   socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

production:   adapter: mysql2   encoding: utf8   reconnect: false   database: mblogprod   pool: 5   username: root   password:   socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

I also gem installed mysql, and changed everything in database.yml to mysql. Still the same issue with ActiveRecord failing to connect. I will go back to using mysql2, and hopefully, get some help on this group. I will also try the mysql blog author at excid3.com. If I can somehow get mysql2 to work, I will post here. At this rate, it looks like I may have to try postgres instead.

Thanks Nara

Don't know if it will help, but try something like

development:   adapter: mysql2   encoding: utf8   database: mblogdev   username: nara   password: <right-password>   host: server_ip_addr_here

-GR

Have you tried generating a new rails app starting out with mysql? e.g. % rails new myapp -d mysql

I just did that as a quick test (on MySQL server 5.1.41) and it worked out of the box.

Rails 3.1.0 / Ruby 1.9.2-p290 (on OS X, though that shouldn't matter)

Hi, if you're new to Rails on Ubuntu DO NOT follow that blog post, it's simply bad. Use RVM instead: http://gezope.github.com/rvm_install_script/

First I highly recommend to start with all default settings. If anything works properly and then you change DB for example and an error occurs - you can be sure that it was the mistake. Postgres is good, since you don't need to change any SQL I think locally everything works fine, and remotely you'll like Postgres later.

HTH Let me know if you've further questions, cheers Zoli