problem starting mongrel server

Hi, I am newbie started learning ruby on rails i had an application which used to run pretty well latter i upgraded from webbrick to mongrel 1.1.5 then I am getting the foloowing errors and a default application runs on port 3000 by name iphone configuration utility i am unable to attach the screen shot as it is saying file to large. Error which i get in terminal is listed below

=> Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick) => Rails application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000 => Call with -d to detach => Ctrl-C to shutdown server ** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000 Exiting /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel/tcphack.rb:12:in `initialize_without_backlog': Address already in use - bind(2) (Errno::EADDRINUSE)   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel/tcphack.rb:12:in `initialize'   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel.rb:93:in `new'   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel.rb:93:in `initialize'   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:139:in `new'   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:139:in `listener'   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/mongrel_rails:99:in `cloaker_'   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:50:in `call'   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:50:in `initialize'    ... 14 levels...   from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.6/lib/commands/server.rb:39   from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require'   from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'   from ./script/server:3

Thanks & Regards Chandu

You already have a program listening on port 3000 probably an earlier webrick or mongrel. If you didn't detach it, then find it and stop it. If it's detached you need to find its pid and kill it. I'm not sure what system you're using; to see what's running on port 3000 try: netstat -4np (linux) sockstat -4 (bsd) netstat -nb (windows - there's probably a better way here, I don't use windows for rails) Get the pid from the listing and kill it if it's ok to do that.

This can also be caused by having a Windows Mobile plugged in to the PC with ActiveSync running

kill running process called ruby.exe then start your server it wil work…

regards abhi

Daniel Bush wrote:

-- Daniel Bush

Hi, my sys config is mac-os-x 10.5.5 i tried to kill process runnig on port 3000 by using top command but but the problem is not solved it repeats again i have an interview scheduled this week dont know by the time whther it might be solved or not....

netstat -f inet

Will show who is listening on whatever port on a mac.

Fred

Then run on diff port using script/server -p 3001

regards Abhi