Problem setting log level

Hello

I'm new to both ruby and rails and have problem getting any debug information from the log. When i encounter an "We're sorry, but something went wrong" message, i look in the "log/development.log" and this is all i find:

Started GET "/characters/7" for 127.0.0.1 at 2012-09-23 11:45:34 +0200 Processing by CharactersController#show as HTML   Parameters: {"id"=>"7"}   Character Load (0.2ms) SELECT "characters".* FROM "characters" WHERE "characters"."id" = ? LIMIT 1 [["id", "7"]]   Rendered characters/show.html.erb within layouts/application (22.1ms) Completed 500 Internal Server Error in 25ms

i've also tried setting:

config.log_level = :debug

in config/enviroments/development.rb but the log looks the same.

I'm i missing something here?

Thanks Daniel

Btw I am using Rails 3.2.3.

I have checked that Rails.logger.level = 0 so it should be :debug. And i'm also sure that i'm running in development mode. But still I just get this one line telling me about an internal error wich doesnt help me a bit.

Update:

Seems like the right log level is set. But for som reason i dont see an error message and a stacktrace when encountering an error. Is there more configuration to be done or should this be enough to be able to see the stacktrace?

If you're seeing the "friendly" Sorry message, then you may be in production mode. I only ever see the sorry a problem occurred in production, the rest of the time it's stack traces all around.

Walter

walterdavis: "We're sorry, but something went wrong" is the error message i get. When i start the development server i see "Rails 3.2.8 application starting in development on http://0.0.0.0:3000". log/development.log is the logfile that is used. Seems to me that i'm in development mode.

I have now tried to upgrade to rails 3.2.8, recreate the project but same thing :frowning:

Check your /config/environments/development.rb file. There's a setting there called consider_all_requests_local which should be set to true. If it isn't, you might see the non-stack-trace "friendly" error message. Otherwise, I have no idea what's happening to your site.

Walter

Yes it is set to true. It seems like this is the default behavior on my rails installation. I did a test: i created a new rails project, generated a scaffold model, inserted a faulty link_to helper like: <%= link_to 'bogus', some_bogus_non_existing_path %> in one of the views. I start the development server and visit the site and the error message and lack of stacktrace is all the same.

Thanks anyway Walter

Hi Daniel,

i'm facing the same problem and i'm using ubuntu 12.04, rvm, ruby 1.9.2-p320. Do you have a similar setup and os?

Christian

That feels like a regression. Can you file a bug/issue on the appropriate library? Here's what I see when I repeat this with Rails 3.0.latest (running in production, but with consider_all_requests_local set to true):

https://gist.github.com/3900681

Walter

It seems (at least on ubuntu), that umlauts or blanks in the path of the rails app, will cause rails to show the "We're sorry,..." screen without any backtrace. By removing the umlauts and blanks the right backtrace is showing up.

Hope this helps.

Christian

Christian: Hey, that was actually the problem! :slight_smile:

I was having a blank in the path of my project directory, and removing that fixed the problem. Great, this was beginning to get somewhat frustrating...

I'm am running Debian Wheezy with rvm and Ruby 1.9.3-p286 so the setup is pretty similar.

Thank you were much for sharing Christian!