Ppecial characters are not being displayed in emails

Hi All, I have to send user profile password via email, where password will have special characters as below >>"><<<<<!@#$%^&*()-+=|{}[]/.,`_

Whenever I send email, some of the special characters are not being displayed, I have used the html_safe, also set the meta tag as below, but special characters are always being removed in the mails, can anybody let me know the way to display special characters in mailer views?

Actual password: ___>>><<<<>><<<`***

regards,

Hi All,

I have to send user profile password via email, where password will have special characters as below

>>"><<<<<!@#$%^&*()_-+=|{}/.,`

Whenever I send email, some of the special characters are not being displayed, I have used the html_safe, also set the meta tag as below, but special characters are always being removed in the mails, can anybody let me know the way to display special characters in mailer views?

<meta content='text/html charset=UTF-8' http-equiv='Content-Type'>

Actual password: >>><<<<<!@#$%^&*()_-+=|{}/.,` Password in mail: >>><<<`

Two things: first, html_safe means "this character doesn't need to be escaped" when actually, you mean the opposite. The character is probably there, but the fact that you have used angle brackets (but not escaped them to &lt and &gt) means that it's being interpreted as the beginning of a tag and ignored. Try using nothing at all to escape it, which will mean that Rails does its usual thing and converts any character that has special meaning in HTML into an entity. It will appear in the browser/email client as the correct character.

Second thing: why on earth are you sending a password in clear text in an e-mail, unless that's also inside a PGP block? You may as well write it on a postcard (or hire a sky-writer).

Walter

Hi Walter,

Just wanted to let you know

​,​

I ​ ​

have tried without html_safe already it didnt ​encode the “<” in to “&lt”

. ​ Regarding the second point, ​I need to send the plain password since this token password which needs to be used only once by the customer.

Regards, Logan

Okay, then try the <%=h dummy_password %> here instead. I thought that it was default in all contexts, but perhaps inside a mailer template it is not?

Walter

HI Walter,

I have tried all the possible options such h, raw and nothing works on mailer view.

Try

<%= CGI.escapeHTML(dummy_password) %>

When that works stop what you’re doing and implement a password link reset/setup that will allow you to securely reset your users passwords

John

Thanks it worked.