polymorphic problema

It appears that I have the models and migrations set up correctly.

In case anyone is wondering why i set it up like this I had it working with just a contact model and this will save a bunch of coding changes to my already working CRUD ajax inline contact form. I am adding a contrator model so I would like to have a polymorphic setup so I can differentiate the two types of people in the form.

I have a Person that is polymorphic, it will have a contact and contractor type.

class Person < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :contactable, :polymorphic => true end

class Contact < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :people, :as => :contactable end

When I do:

person = Person.create(params[:person]) @contact = Contact.create(params[:contact]) person.contactable = @contact

It goes without an error but puts NIL in the contactable_type and contactable_id columns.

Anyone have an idea why? I spent a couple hours with this earlier.

In case anyone is wondering here is the migration:

class CreatePeople < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     create_table :people do |t|       t.integer :company_id       t.references :contactable, :polymorphic => true

t.timestamps     end   end

def self.down     drop_table :people   end end

Are you saving the person record after having assigned the contactable ?

Fred

The Create method saves on creation does it not?

Here is my stand alone script i just tried, still putting NIL in the contactable columns: I even tried person.contactable.save to no avail.

RAILS_ENV = ‘development’

require File.dirname(FILE) + ‘/…/config/boot’ require File.dirname(FILE) + ‘/…/config/environment’

@contact = Contact.create(:name => ‘moo’) @contact.save person = Person.create(:company_id => ‘1’) person.save person.contactable = @contact

Ok, I was looking at the DB for the contactable.type and id. Why does it not show up there but when you query it is is there?

I did the example in rails recipe. I can retrieve the addressable_id and type when I create itfrom the console, but when I go log out and go back and try to retrieve them they give back NIL just like the DB shows. Is the ID and TYPE supposed to show up in the DB? I am still getting NIL for the polymorphic columns. Stumped...

Ok, I did a new method instead of create and then the last thing I did was a save and it works. Anybody know why?

Because assignment of the new parent record to a child is not immideately persisted. You need to call save to persist it in the database.

So this changes only the object in memory: person.contactable = @contact

This updates the database: person.contactable = @contact person.save

Dmitry

I did that even with the “create” methid, no luck. I had to use the “new” method and save it for it to write to the db.