polymorphic and sti problems.

I'm way back at Rails 2.3.5. I can move up to 2.3.11 if anyone thinks that will help. My problem is this:

class Entity < ActiveRecord::Base       belongs_to :item, :polymorphic => true     end

class Name < ActiveRecord::Base       has_one :entity, :class_name => "Entity", :as => :item     end

class Team < Name     end

The has_one does not work. It searches for the base_class of item "Name" instead of the class "Team". I see where these is a "trick" where you can change item_type= in the documentation but that causes me other problems.

I tried moving the has_one to Team but that didn't change anything.

Any suggestions?

What exactly is "not working" here? Polymorphic associations are designed to store the class that's needed to retrieve the associated record - storing the STI subclass instead of the base would mean that the STI type was stored in *two* locations (both in the 'type' field on the record, and in 'item_type' on the associated Entity record) which is generally regarded as *bad*.

Note that base-class finds still return objects of subclasses (this isn't C++ :slight_smile: ):

Name.find(some_team_id) # => a Team object

--Matt Jones

class Entity < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :item, :polymorphic => true end

class Name < ActiveRecord::Base has_one :entity, :class_name => "Entity", :as => :item end

class Team < Name end

The has_one does not work. It searches for the base_class of item "Name" instead of the class "Team".

What command are you executing when you get a problem with "it searching" - what searches? What SQL gets produced in the log file?

I see where these is a "trick" where you can change item_type= in the documentation but that causes me other problems.

What problems?

I tried moving the has_one to Team but that didn't change anything.

hrmmm... that was my first thought... If you try to associate Name objects, does that work okay?

Any suggestions?

A query: Why are you specifying the class_name? ... as far as I can see, it shouldn't be necessary here (but shouldn't cause a problem either...)