please suggest a web page automation tool

I've been trying to get a couple of web automation tools going today and having a hard time. Seems like everything I try is outdated and won't run on my environment. Mechanize seemed like a good one but it doesn't want to run:

require 'rubygems'   require 'open-uri'   require 'mechanize'

agent = Mechanize.new

Results in:

D:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': 126: The specified module could not be found. - D:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/ gems/1.9.1/gems/unf_ext-0.0.3/lib/unf_ext.so (LoadError)   from D:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'   from D:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/unf-0.0.3/lib/unf.rb:4:in `<top (required)>'

I've tried a few things to fix this, but I can't get mechanize to see the unf_ext gem. Makes me think that it's a bit outdated.

What web automation framework would you recommend?

I've been trying to get a couple of web automation tools going today and having a hard time. Seems like everything I try is outdated and won't run on my environment. Mechanize seemed like a good one but it doesn't want to run:

require 'rubygems' require 'open-uri' require 'mechanize'

agent = Mechanize.new

Results in:

D:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': 126: The specified module could not be found. - D:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/ gems/1.9.1/gems/unf_ext-0.0.3/lib/unf_ext.so (LoadError) from D:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require' from D:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/unf-0.0.3/lib/unf.rb:4:in `<top (required)>'

I've tried a few things to fix this, but I can't get mechanize to see the unf_ext gem. Makes me think that it's a bit outdated.

Well the latest (preview) version of mechanise is from only a week ago so I wouldn't call it unmaintained. It looks like the native extension in unf_ext didn't compile properly - I'd try installing it again, paying close attention to any warnings it might throw up (and make sure you have the required toolchain to build ruby extensions)

Fred

I tried that already. I did it again with Verbose and didn't see anything suspicious except:

generating unf_ext-i386-mingw32.def compiling unf.cc cc1plus.exe: warning: command line option "-Wdeclaration-after- statement" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++ cc1plus.exe: warning: command line option "-Wimplicit-function- declaration" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++ linking shared-object unf_ext.so

So that's a maybe. Other than that, it looks like it installed fine.

I've put an issue up on the github for mechanize. In the meantime I'm using Nokogiri for reading the page, since I don't have to do any interaction with it.