Player != Player?

–sorry if this double posted … tried using online google groups interface to submit … that was an hour ago.–

I’m developing an hobby application designed to provide some utilities for a favorite boardgame of mine. I can’t say exactly what problem I’m

having, but I can describe two symptoms that I’ve discovered have the same root:

1.) When loading a page for the second time since the server started, @player.technologies turns up method_missing (Player.has_many

:technologies)

2.) When loading a page for the second time since the server started, @game.players << Player.new() raises an AssocationTypeMismatch complaining that “Player expected, got Player”. Huh?

While investigating the first I discovered that on the second page load since the server started, @player.reflect_on_all_associat

ions.size == 0. But on the first page load, there were 6! So somehow it “lost” my

associations. I did a sanity check. Yep, on the second page load Player.reflections.size == 6 but @player.class.reflections == 0 … yet @player.class.to_s == ‘Player’. Wow. So confused.

Well further digging revealed that on the second page load

@player.class != Player even though @player.class.to_s == Player.to_s. Huh? That’s the same problem as issue #2.

Ok, so now at least I know the problems have the same root cause. I did a lot more tracing through ActiveRecord. Stayed up a few hours. Whipped

myself with a wet noodle. Ended up putting some debugging messages into ActiveRecord::Reflection::AssocationReflection.klass. Whenever that method gets called, if self == Game I do some sanity checks to see if

@klass == Player.

class AssociationReflection < MacroReflection #:nodoc:
  def klass
    if active_record.to_s == 'Game'
      puts 'Player == compute type: ' + (Player ==

active_record.send(:compute_type, class_name)).to_s puts 'Player == @klass: ’ + (Player == @klass).to_s if @klass end @klass ||= active_record.send(:compute_type, class_name)

end
end

On the first page load, both sanity checks return true. On the second page load, the first returns true and the second returns false. That is, on the first page load @klass == Player, but on the second page

load @klass != Player (even though @klass.to_s == ‘Player’ all the way through).

What’s up? Anyone? Do I need a bigger noodle?

Your model classes get re-created on each request in development mode. That's how you get the nice "just refresh the browser" behavior. e.g. try "puts Player.object_id". You'll see it's a different object each time round.

I looks like somehow your app is keeping hold of an instance from a previous request, which is therefore an instance of the "old" player class. Are you storing a player in the session? If so try storing the id of the player instead and reloading it from the db on each request.

Tom

Ok, this could be a problem: my Game model is also my Session model. That is:

CGI::Session::ActiveRecordStore.session_class = Game

I started looking into object_ids a half hour after posting, and you're right. Player.object_id != @klass.object_id on the second page load, because @klass is not getting cleared from the first page. I just tried setting @klass to nil before any controller logic, and it solved my problem.

Magic code: before_filter {Game.reflections[:players].send(:instance_variable_set, '@klass', nil)} if RAILS_ENV == 'development'

I'm sure there's a better way to solve this. Like maybe I shouldn't be using my Session model as my Game model. But I can't help but think that I'll want to have associations from Session models in other apps, so I wish I could learn something more useful here.