phpmyadmin equivalent in ruby

Why I asking this is to avoid php installation on server. Is there any phpmyadmin equivalent in ruby and also can be available as a linux package?

Thanks in advance Tom

Why do you need an equivalent, why not just use phpmyadmin?

Colin

you can use mysql query browser which is gui based package equivalent to phpmyadmin.. I am using and I found the best gui tools for mysql query browsing.......u will found it in your synaptic package manager or ubuntu software center from your application menu.

Best Wishes "Shuvecha"

Or Sequel Pro through an SSH tunnel (which is part of the connection dialog) if you’re on the Mac: http://www.sequelpro.com/

"to avoid php installation on server"

Personally - I don't think PHP on the server is any issue, but PHPMyAdmin is a dreadful app to put on a live box (no problems with development machines). It's got lots of vulnerabilities, and the script-kiddies all ping away looking for its standard installation locations. If you *have* to use it, at least put it somewhere obscure *and* use some extra layer of protection (through htpasswd or similar).

Depending on your local platform, there are lots of stand-alone MySQL admin tools which will all connect to the server (assuming your firewall, and DB permissions allow) which are a better bet for DB management IMHO.

If you're just after data management (rather than DB management - shouldn't that be done by migrations.... :wink: there are lots of ruby plug-in "admin interfaces" which give CRUD functionality:

M

Thanks for you all. Hi Michael Pavling you specified

If you *have* to use it, at least put it somewhere obscure *and* use some extra layer of protection (through htpasswd or similar).

Could you please explain it a bit more?

Tom

Explain more about what? When (if) you install phpMyAdmin, install it into a folder called something other than "/phpmyadmin"; which will give you some security through obscurity (the worst kind of security, but better than none). Then, use your favourite search engine to find out about securing directories with htpasswd: http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=htpasswd If you're hosting on another OS, then I'm sure there'll be some equivalent method for securing directories with passwords.

Other than that, this thread is not really anything about Rails, so is a little off topic now.