PDF::Writer Switching to Production Trouble (on rails)

Hello, i'm newbie for pdf::writer and also for   rails.   I've put PDF::Writer on rails to use rpdf views.   All ok in development mode (with webrick), ok in   ./script/console test, in development and also in   production environment.   When I switch to production environment in apache   (fcgi mode) FPFD generate well graphics, but become   an arror when I wrote text (perhaps for font trouble   troble?) ActionView::TemplateError (undefined method `' for nil:NilClass) on line #15 15: pdf.add_text_wrap left_base, top-30, width, "Aula "

I try copy environmente/development.rb to   environmente/production.rb but all the same.   There is some troble in fcgi mode?

Bests, Tomaso

I'm not sure what would be causing this. Is it possible to get a more detailed stack trace?

-austin

here the full stack trace. If I remove all pdf.add_text_wrap commands, and I leave only draw command (like pdf.fill_color(Color::RGB.from_html('#E6E6E6;')) pdf.rectangle(left, cur_y-4, 610, 15).fill pdf.line(left+70, cur_y-4 ,left+70, cur_y+11).stroke no error happenz

Thanks, Tomaso

ActionView::TemplateError (undefined method `' for nil:NilClass) on line #15 of app/views/facolta/calendario/orario_aule.rpdf: 12: #if a == 8 13: pdf.start_new_page if a>1 14: #table = PDF::SimpleTable.new 15: pdf.add_text_wrap left_base, top-30, width, "Aula #{aula} I Periodo - 2 OTTOBRE - 18 NOVEMBRE 2006", 15, :center 16: cur_y=top-60 17: (1..6).each { |g| 18: pdf.fill_color(Color::RGB.from_html('#E6E6E6;'))

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pdf-writer-1.1.3/lib/pdf/writer.rb:1540:in `char_width' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pdf-writer-1.1.3/lib/pdf/writer.rb:1702:in `add_text_wrap' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pdf-writer-1.1.3/lib/pdf/writer.rb:1690:in `loop' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pdf-writer-1.1.3/lib/pdf/writer.rb:1690:in `add_text_wrap'      #{RAILS_ROOT}/app/views/facolta/calendario/orario_aule.rpdf:15:in `render'      #{RAILS_ROOT}/app/views/facolta/calendario/orario_aule.rpdf:9:in `each_index'      #{RAILS_ROOT}/app/views/facolta/calendario/orario_aule.rpdf:9:in `render' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_view/base.rb:406:in `eval'      #{RAILS_ROOT}/vendor/plugins/pdf_render/lib/pdf_render.rb:25:in `render' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_view/base.rb:406:in `delegate_render' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_view/base.rb:290:in `render_template' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_view/base.rb:251:in `render_file' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:726:in `render_file' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:695:in `render_with_no_layout' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/layout.rb:253:in `render_without_benchmark' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:53:in `render' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:53:in `measure' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:53:in `render' #{RAILS_ROOT}/app/controllers/facolta/calendario_controller.rb:305:in `orario_aule' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:941:in `send' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:941:in `perform_action_without_filters' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:368:in `perform_action_without_benchmark' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:69:in `perform_action_without_rescue' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:69:in `measure' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:69:in `perform_action_without_rescue' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/rescue.rb:82:in `perform_action' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:408:in `send' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:408:in `process_without_filters' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:377:in `process_without_session_management_support' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/session_management.rb:117:in `process'      /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/dispatcher.rb:38:in `dispatch'      /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/fcgi_handler.rb:150:in `process_request'      /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/fcgi_handler.rb:54:in `process!'      /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/fcgi_handler.rb:53:in `each_cgi'      /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fcgi.rb:597:in `each'      /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fcgi.rb:597:in `each_cgi'      /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/fcgi_handler.rb:53:in `process!'      /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/fcgi_handler.rb:23:in `process!'      /www/http/internos/lisa/dispatch.fcgi:24

Austin Ziegler ha scritto:

What character set are you using? It appears that you have some characters that don't have default widths defined and you need to put them in a substitution map (see the manual for details on how the manual added the copyright symbol, for example).

-austin

I'm using "Times-Roman", and if I wrote on   ./script/console   require 'pdf/simpletable'   pdf=PDF::Writer.new   pdf.select_font "Times-Roman"   pdf.add_text_wrap 100, 100, 400, "Aula", 15   pdf.render

no error happen...   only in production mode, on apache fcgi...   Is possible a misconfiguration on www-user?   PDF::Writer use some ENV variable?   root and ww-user have same shell (bash) on /etc/passwd   something else? Really, I've no idea...   Trouble only on apache/fcgi... Argh!      Thank you for your kind help

Tomaso

Does this specific problem test case fail in production? If it does, it sounds like a Rails problem and I don't know what to say about it -- PDF::Writer does not use ENV variables.

-austin

No, if I run ./script/console production no erro happen... Thank you anyware.

Tomaso

No way! I've decided to run application in development mode under apache/fcgi, but using production environment, i.e. whith cahing class: config.cache_classes = true config.action_controller.consider_all_requests_local = false config.action_controller.perform_caching = true If I call development mode with other name (for example new_state), and I correct database.yml and environments/new_state.rb the error become like production mode....

Than I set DefaultInitEnv RAILS_ENV development and no preoblem found. If someone know differences between devlopment status and other status (production or elseware) tell me where I can read about it (nothing in agile web and rail recipes)

Thank you Austin, right way is the problem in Rails...

Tomaso

minni ha scritto:

PDF::Writer do not work properly in fcgi mode, in linux.   The trouble is in PDF::Writer::FontMetrics class that try   to read afm in binary mode and do some operations that is   prohibited in fcgi.   The solution is the creation of rfm file who is only   unmarshaled. This workaround has beautiful side effect to   increase the performance of pdf generation.      Here the snipplet (whith Times-Roman):   cd <your application>   ./script/console development   >> require 'pdf/writer'   >> p=PDF::Writer::FontMetrics.open("Times-Roman")   >> p.save_as_rfm   >> exit   mv Times-Roman.afm.rfm \     /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pdf-writer-1.1.3\     /lib/pdf/writer/fonts/

To made this for all the fonts, simply execute in console: Dir.foreach('/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pdf-writer-1.1.3/lib/pdf/writer/fonts/') {|d|; if d=~/.afm$/; p=PDF::Writer::FontMetrics.open(d); p.save_as_rfm; end }   and copy all to destination   mv *.rfm /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pdf-writer-1.1.3\     /lib/pdf/writer/fonts/

Hope this is useful...

Minni      Solution to tread   PDF::Writer Switching to Production Trouble (on rails)