PayPal notifications - Rails 3.

Hello!

I'm trying to integrate PayPal into my (first) Rails app. I've been looking at RailsCast #142, #142 PayPal Notifications - RailsCasts. But I don't get it to work. My app isn't a normal e-commerce site, it's a buy and sell site. Every ad has a 'published' boolean, which I want to set to true if the user completes the payment process. My code looks like this.

Order model:

class Order < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :ad

def paypal_url(return_url, notify_url)       values = {         :business => 'anders_1291665108_biz@my_mail.se',         :cmd => '_xclick',         :currency_code => "SEK",         :upload => 1,         :return => return_url,         :invoice => id,         :amount => 15,         :item_name => "Ad",         :quantity => 1,         :lc => "SE",         :notify_url => notify_url       }       "Digital Wallets, Money Management, and More | PayPal US | PayPal US; + values.to_query     end end

My Payment Notifications Controller:

class PaymentNotificationsController < ApplicationController   protect_from_forgery :except => [:create]

def create     PaymentNotification.create!(:params => params, :ad_id => params[:invoice], :status => params[:payment_status],                                 :transaction_id => params[:txn_id])     render :nothing => true   end end

And my Payment Notification model (where I think the problem is):

class PaymentNotification < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :ad   serialize :params   after_create :mark_ad_as_purchased

def mark_ad_as_purchased     if status == "Completed"       ad.update_attribute(:published => true)     end   end end

I get an error that says:

NoMethodError in Payment notificationsController#create

You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! You might have expected an instance of ActiveRecord::Base. The error occurred while evaluating nil.update_attribute

Any help or tips would be appreciated!

Thanks Anders

Hello!

I'm trying to integrate PayPal into my (first) Rails app. I've been looking at RailsCast #142, #142 PayPal Notifications - RailsCasts. But I don't get it to work. My app isn't a normal e-commerce site, it's a buy and sell site. Every ad has a 'published' boolean, which I want to set to true if the user completes the payment process. My code looks like this.

Order model:

class Order < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :ad

def paypal_url(return_url, notify_url) values = { :business => 'anders_1291665108_biz@my_mail.se', :cmd => '_xclick', :currency_code => "SEK", :upload => 1, :return => return_url, :invoice => id, :amount => 15, :item_name => "Ad", :quantity => 1, :lc => "SE", :notify_url => notify_url } "https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?&quot; + values.to_query end end

My Payment Notifications Controller:

class PaymentNotificationsController < ApplicationController protect_from_forgery :except => [:create]

def create PaymentNotification.create!(:params => params, :ad_id => params[:invoice], :status => params[:payment_status], :transaction_id => params[:txn_id]) render :nothing => true end end

And my Payment Notification model (where I think the problem is):

class PaymentNotification < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :ad serialize :params after_create :mark_ad_as_purchased

def mark_ad_as_purchased if status == "Completed" ad.update_attribute(:published => true)

Assuming this is where it is failing, you are updating the attribute of ad, but the error says ad is nil. I assume this is supposed to be setup from params[:invoice] above. I suggest you use ruby-debug to break into your code here and see what is going on. If you do not know about ruby-debug have a look at the Rails Guide on debugging. Also you could look in the log to see the query creating the notification record to check that ad_id is set correctly.

Colin

Thanks Colin!

You found the root of my problem, the invoice/id was wrong. And thanks for the tips regarding Ruby-debug. Still has a lot to learn. :smiley:

// Anders

Anders_P wrote in post #967140:

Thanks Colin!

You found the root of my problem, the invoice/id was wrong. And thanks for the tips regarding Ruby-debug. Still has a lot to learn. :smiley:

// Anders

Hi Anders, I'm having this same problem. Could you tell me what exactly was wrong with your invoice/id setup? Thanks, -Max