passing value from controller to model

Is it possible to manually pass a value to the model from a controller?

thanks

I'm not sure what you mean. Obviously from your controller you can do some_object.something = :foo

or

some_object.create(:foo => 'Bob' , :bar => 23)

If you gave an example of what you were trying to do someone might be able to construct a more meaningful answer.

Fred

I am using restful_authentication with attachment_fu. I want to have the file directory used based on the user_id so that every user has its own directory. I tried modifying the path_prefix (the variable that specifies which folder to use) in the controller, this made the change within the database but it still saves the file in the default directory (public/fileupload) Here is the code

@fileupload.path_prefix = 'public/tester' + (self.current_user.id).to_s

The plugin will only use the folder specified in the model and not the controller. I don't have access to the userid in the upload model (its only present in the controllers). So I was wondering if I can pass in the userId from the controller into the model somehow.

I think that the right way to do this is to override the method full_filename in your model

Here's the default implementation (in plugins/attachment_fu/lib/technoweenie/attachment_fu/backends/file_system_backend.rb)         # Gets the full path to the filename in this format:

Hi

Thanks for your response

Unfortunately only the controller has access to the user id. So I can't make the foldername based on the user id in the model. Is there anyway I can pass the value from the controller to the model?

Of course there is! Define a method in the model:

def method(user_id)

end

and then call it from the controller, passing in user_id.

Not working :frowning: I get undefined method `printval' for #<FileuploadController:0x57fea90>

i created a def printval(userid) in the model. I even tried passing the value in the session in the controller but I can't even seem to access sessions in the model

You should be calling it on an instance of the model, For example

file_upload = FileUpload.find(:first) file_upload.printval(user_id)