Access to session variable in model

Hi everyone

I am using attachment fu for image uploading. I try to customize the path for pictures be saved.

If I call session[:kwikerhash] in the image.rb where there method for path definition is I get an undefined method or variable error. If I fill a global variable @kwikerhash in the controller with the session value and try to use it in the image.rb it says that @kwikerhash is nil.

Is there a possibility to get access to session values in model files?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Adam

Hi Adam Meyer

You can't do that and if any means doing that means violating MVC . What you can do is to pass the session variable from controller to model For example in the image.rb you have a

def do_this(session_id)

Sijo Kg wrote:

Hi Adam Meyer

You can't do that and if any means doing that means violating MVC . What you can do is to pass the session variable from controller to model For example in the image.rb you have a

def do_this(session_id) ---- end

So from controller you can pass it like

@image_model_obj.do_this(session[:kwikerhash])

Sijo

Hi Sijo

you're right. But if I set a value to @kwikerhash in the controller I have also access to it in the view.

This is fucked. Because its a method which I override from the attachment_fu plugin.

So I need to create the same method with parameters.

Thanks

Hello again,

sorry but I have no Idea how to solve it. I try to explain the problem. I am using attachment_fu for picture upload and output. I wanna change the attachment-fu to save the pics in a specific folder. Therefor my image.rb looks

class Image < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :categories   belongs_to :category   belongs_to :products   belongs_to :kwikers

has_attachment :content_type => :image,   :storage => :file_system, :path_prefix => 'public/assets/uploads',   :max_size => 10.megabytes,   :resize_to => '1024x1024>',   :thumbnails => { :thumb => '150x150>'},   :processor => :MiniMagick # attachment_fu looks in this order: ImageScience, Rmagick, MiniMagick   validates_as_attachment

def uploaded_data=(file_data)      return nil if file_data.nil? || file_data.size == 0      self.content_type = file_data.content_type      extension = file_data.original_filename.slice(/\.\w+$/)

self.filename = Digest::SHA1.hexdigest(Time.now.to_s) + extension

File.extname(file_data.original_filename) if respond_to?(:filename)      if file_data.is_a?(StringIO)        file_data.rewind        self.temp_data = file_data.read      else          self.temp_path = file_data.path      end    end

# START: FOLDER STRUCTURE MODIFYING CODE    # Changes the folder structure    def full_filename(thumbnail = nil)      file_system_path = (thumbnail ? thumbnail_class : self).attachment_options[:path_prefix]      File.join(RAILS_ROOT, file_system_path, created_at.strftime("%Y/%m/%d"), thumbnail_name_for(thumbnail))    end end

I want to replace the created_at.strftime("%Y/%m/%d") in the full_filename method with the value which is set in session[:kwikerhash]. But I don't know how. The view file calls a method image.public_filename(:thumb) for example.

What can I do to let the full_filename method take the value from the session?

Please help.

Adam

On your image model, you could add, for example:

class Image < ActiveRecord::Base   attr_writer :session_date ....

and, on you controller, right after you create a new image:

@image = Image.new <whatever_parameters> @image.session_date = session[:kwikerhash][<whatever_param>]

Hope this helps!