ORM Designer and Ruby ORM

Hello,

My name is Ludek Vodicka and I'm the main developer of ORM Designer tool (http://www.orm-designer.com).

During last months several people asked us if we could create a support for RoR ORM in ORM Designer. Today we are deciding and planning next features and considering an implementation of your framework.

ORM Designer serves to design ORM model definitions. Instead of writing definitions to several text files, you will be able to design your model in one place and then export it.

I want to ask whole community if our tool could help you with your work and if the tool seems to be useful for you. Currently we support several PHP ORM frameworks and have lot of positive feedbacks from our users.

I believe that in cooperation with the community we could build powerful tool for all RoR developers.

Please feel free to reply to this post with any suggestion or question, or send me an email to support@orm-designer.com.

Best regards Ludek Vodicka

Ludek Vodicka wrote:

ORM Designer serves to design ORM model definitions. Instead of writing definitions to several text files, you will be able to design your model in one place and then export it.

I think you'll find that your tool is designed to solve a problem that doesn't exist in Ruby on Rails. One of the primary advantages of ActiveRecord is convention over configuration. There is not a bunch of text files storing model configurations.

Here is a basic ActiveRecord model class:

class Post < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :comments end

And that is all there is to it. ActiveRecord will get everything it needs to know from the database. There is no configuration file.

Ludek Vodicka wrote: > ORM Designer serves to design ORM model definitions. Instead of writing > definitions to several text files, you will be able to design your model > in one place and then export it.

I think you'll find that your tool is designed to solve a problem that doesn't exist in Ruby on Rails. One of the primary advantages of ActiveRecord is convention over configuration. There is not a bunch of text files storing model configurations.

[...]

And that is all there is to it. ActiveRecord will get everything it needs to know from the database. There is no configuration file.

That's true for ActiveRecord, but Rails3 supports much more than AR. DataMapper, for example, could benefit from such a tool.

--Greg

Thank you both for your replies. I will look to AR and DM too.

If anyone has another idea or comment about ORMD and RoR, please feel free to send me your opinion.