Opening a folder for file selection

Hello,       I am trying to provide a link which, when clicked, will supply a folder which I've previously selected for users to click and open various files in (some pdf, some .doc, maybe even .odt).

In routes.rb I put: get 'public' => 'people#upload'

In application.html.erb I put: <a href="http://localhost:3000/public&quot; >Read a File</a>

And in people_controller.rb requesting a specific file works to open the correct download window:

def upload

send_file("C:\\ -- a specific folder and file --", :disposition => 'attachment' , :type => 'application/pdf')

end

But since I don't want to preselect a file for them, from this preselected folder, how to I just show the folder and let the user double-click which one they want to open in another window?      Thanks,          Barney

One way:

1) Get the filenames: Dir.foreach or Dir.glob. 2) Create a view that provides a list of links, one for each file. 3) The links connect to another action, which sends the file.

Why is your action named 'upload'? How about 'download'?

Thanks, I'll give those steps a try. The name is leftover from earlier work and should be changed, as you've pointed out.      Barney

Could you provide a code example of the connection between the links and an action that sends the file? I now have a list of links on a page but clicking them gives: "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (c) isn't associated with any program." Thanks,       Barney

Okay. But I am a beginner too, so I don't know if this is the best way. I'm assuming the path to your folder is:

/public/files_to_read

class PagesController < ApplicationController   def home     @title = "Home"   end

def get_files     dir_path = 'public/files_to_read'

Dir.chdir(dir_path) do       @fnames = Dir.glob("*")     end

end

def download     dir_path = 'public/files_to_read'     fname = params[:fname]

Dir.chdir(dir_path) do       allowed_fnames = Dir.glob("*")

if allowed_fnames.include?(fname)         send_file("#{RAILS_ROOT}/#{dir_path}/#{fname}",                   :filename => fname)       else         @title = 'Home'         render 'home'       end

end

end

end

Thanks 7stud! Your code works and I integrated it with my version. The only changes I made were to redo RAILS_ROOT to use: dir_path = Rails.root.join("public","resumes") and to make the send_file more "Windowsy" in this way: send_file("#{dir_path}\\#{fname}", :filename => fname)

I appreciate your taking the time!         Barney

Never use backslashes in paths. ruby and other modern languages can handle forward slashes for path separators no matter what os the program is running on.

Barney wrote in post #1017759:

Thanks 7stud! Your code works and I integrated it with my version. The only changes I made were to redo RAILS_ROOT to use: dir_path = Rails.root.join("public","resumes")

As of Rails 3.0.7 RAILS_ROOT and RAILS_ENV are deprecated. Rails.root and Rails.env are preferred.

Thanks!