obtaining a model name

Dear user community,

I know that I can access the controller that is called by using params[:controller] . I need to obtain the model name for a find command and I was wondering if there was a built in way of obtaining this name. If I can't obtain it I have to ways to obtain it, by using the controller and modding the string as I go through it or creating a database and find the association in the database.

I would much rather use a built in variable or method to obtain this information.

Any and all help is appreciated

thanks

What exactly do you want to do with the model 'name'. I believe you already know your model class name. And if you are talking about getting reference of the model object in your controller then you have the option of creating sessions or using a global hash.

Please throw in more details about your requirement.

Thanks, ~Shishir

Is it inside of a model? If so, you could likely do something like...

self.class.find(:first)

...or whatever find command you're looking for.

If that's not what you need, then we need more details, please. :slight_smile:

--Jeremy

You can do something like this.

case1: Array of object returned by your query like this             x = Product.find(:all) # may what ever query you want.            model_name = x.first.class            puts model_name # outputs Product case2: Your query returns only single object             x = Product.find(:first) # may what ever query you want.            model_name = x.class            puts model_name # outputs Product